Help choosing gear pack please!

Posts about AC Gear Packs and Starter Kits

Moderator: ooper01

Hawkeye

Re: Help choosing gear pack please!

Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:14 pm

CANant wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:04 pm
Hawkeye- you might be interested in the “Big Al’s Mega Build series” YouTube videos. It’s a huge aquarium tank set up. Some of it might be irrelevant but it might give you some useful info regarding your aquarium part set up. One thing I meant to mention make sure the whole thing is perfectly level and wherever you are placing it can hold the weight. There are other big Al video I found very helpful. Especially the low tech or high tech planted tank series. How many fish depends greatly on the filter and how many gallons. Having too many will negatively effect your water conditions if your pump and filter can’t handle it. Sometimes less is more. You also need to be careful about mixing species because they will terrorize or could kill each other. Beta fish are bad for that and don’t typically mix well with others. I tried one with snails and catfish and it wouldn’t leave them alone. Tetras can be aggressive as well. Great idea about adding the springtails etc to the soil well in advance.
Love the “nest with an aquarium view” hehe
I'll have a look at that YouTube video btw, thanks for recommending it to me. I plan to place my setup on a cupboard. I will either make on myself or get an existing one and reinforce that, just to be sure it can take the weight.

CANant

Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:13 pm

I'll have a look at that YouTube video btw, thanks for recommending it to me. I plan to place my setup on a cupboard. I will either make on myself or get an existing one and reinforce that, just to be sure it can take the weight.
I meant the floor needs to hold the weight and if the tank is not perfectly level the glass could crack or leak. Maybe if not right away but later down the road. That would be devastating!
Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Temnothorax ambiguus/curvispinosus (Acorn ant)

Lasius Interjectus (Larger citronella ant) with host workers: L. Americanus

🐜❤️

Hawkeye

Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:42 pm

CANant wrote:
I meant the floor needs to hold the weight and if the tank is not perfectly level the glass could crack or leak. Maybe if not right away but later down the road. That would be devastating!
That would be a disaster indeed!

Hawkeye

Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:42 am

Hawkeye wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:42 pm
CANant wrote:
That would be a disaster indeed!
I took your advice, watched the videos and altered my designs! Thanks for the tip!

CANant

Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:29 pm

Glad I could help :) I’ll be waiting for progress reports. Good luck!
Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Temnothorax ambiguus/curvispinosus (Acorn ant)

Lasius Interjectus (Larger citronella ant) with host workers: L. Americanus

🐜❤️

Hawkeye

Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:52 pm

I've already posted my new and improved design, including the stand I want to build...