Any Set good for Ghost Ant

Posts about AC Gear Packs and Starter Kits

Moderator: ooper01

utopia13hk

Any Set good for Ghost Ant

Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:29 am

I have a colony around 1 year more, now they live in a cheap thin sand ant farm with moat to avoid them escape and other ants go in, but everyday have ants drown. And suggestion I can use to replace my currently setup?

AntsLuxembourg

Re: Any Set good for Ghost Ant

Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:40 am

Hey,
I've never heard of someone keep ghost ants. I think they are really small and can fit through nearly anything. Do you perhaps have some additional information on your colony? Like the species name and if possible pictures of your setup? Would love to see it. :)

I heard that ghost ants can walk on water / swim for a little bit due to the surface tension.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

SYUTEO

Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:22 am

Ghost ants (Tapinoma melanocephalum) are small ants and are escape artists so keeping them can be quite challenging. I suggest you to look for formicariums that are tight so they don't escape. Maybe something like the hybrid nest mini, Solenopsis or Tetramorium if you can afford it.

utopia13hk

Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:00 am

I found them in my flower pot year ago when I changed the pot for my plant, then I kept them in a plastic box and moved them to this one when I bought it online

Some of them got drowned in the moat, but so far they have been unable to escape (some soap in the water to prevent them from walking on it). I want to upgrade the setup in hopes of reducing the dead...

AntsLuxembourg

Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:22 am

Looks nice with the decoration. For the anti drowning, it was clever to break the surface tension with some soap but of course the ants will just drown. So it's difficult to make changes unless you manage to close the setup. I don't think the baby power is going to work since they are very light but fluon might work.

This is what I use. Of course I don't have such small ants so I cannot confirm if it's working or not.
https://www.antstore.net/shop/de/Bauteile/Ausbruchsschutz/Ameisen-Ausbruchsschutz-Lack-10ml-397.html

I would say a nice and tight setup might be the better choice here. Maybe with a moul just for good measure.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

utopia13hk

Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:56 am

That's why I am interest with the Ant Tower, since I thought it was a closed setup
Are there any closed setups that can be suggested? With moving door confirmed failure, but a plug should work

AntsLuxembourg

Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:41 am

Hm the Anttower might be one option, however it could be that the air holes are too big for the ants. For this you should check with the AC Shop Team on the size of those holes. Luckily you can seal off the holes on the side by adding cotton.

Another idea would be to have another nest like you do currently. One that got screws that are keeping all the layers tight together so no ant can squeeze through. Maybe that would be another option for your antspecies. The only issue you might have is the ventilation as they still need oxigen.

utopia13hk

Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:53 am

Cotton seems like it would be a good idea, I'll check with the AC team again for the size of the air holes