AC test tubes cracking?

A discussion on AC ant keeping equipment and accessories

Moderator: ooper01

Alaydia

Re: AC test tubes cracking?

Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:47 pm

Ghouls wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:28 am
8 out of the 10 AC Test Tubes I purchased now have long cracks going parallel with the tubes. They usually only crack that one way for me.

(I looked up this topic about 6 months ago, and couldn’t find too much information on it. But more, and more of my test tubes started getting cracks in them.)

Finally, my AC Portal has now gained cracks all over it. And instead of the long parallel lines like the test tubes, these ones are just scattered, and look like a mess...

These test tubes/portals are kept in very safe spaces where they can’t be damaged accidentally, and etc.

Has their been any additional information about this? Manufacturing defects, or something? I need to get more test tubes, but if these are just going to keep cracking, it’s not worth it, but at the same time, I’m at a huge disadvantage, because I have other AC products, and they’re mainly only compatible with each other.
Don't know what's causing the cracks, but I found a nice little trick to make glass tubes that are just barely too small fit. All you have to do is put a kleenex over the top of them. Poke a hole and put into the test tube adapter. Perfect fit.

Hope that helps, I know it's been a bit since this post went up.
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditiones habes

Main interest is C. Pennsylvanicus, interested in most native ants to my area.

NKantsalberta

Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:53 am

The last time a tube cracked for me, I sent a photo and explanation to AC. They sent a new test tube pack to me free of charge, no shipping, with 5 test tubes. I haven't noticed an issue yet since then, but I have yet to chill any tubes for hibernation.
GAN farmer for Edmonton and area, Alberta, Canada.

Facebook/Instagram : @NKantsalberta

Alberta Keeper's FB Group : Alberta Ant Keepers and Enthusiasts

CANant

Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:55 am

Yes they replaced mine as well. I haven’t had any of the new ones crack yet but it may be from winter diapause and the temperature being cold effects the tube integrity. I with they had glass options that fit the AC system.
Alaydia wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:47 pm
All you have to do is put a kleenex over the top of them. Poke a hole and put into the test tube adapter. Perfect fit.
I’m not 100% sure of what you mean. However if it creates a gap anywhere it won’t work for my ants. They will chew through tissue paper easily being carpenter ants.
Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Temnothorax ambiguus/curvispinosus (Acorn ant)

Lasius Interjectus (Larger citronella ant) with host workers: L. Americanus

🐜❤️

Alaydia

Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:00 am

Mine are carpenter ants as well. Just take a large test tube. Put a kleenex over the end. Put it into the end of the AC adapter. It fills the empty space, no room to chew through. Then all you have to do is poke open the end so the ants can go through. It works like a charm.
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditiones habes

Main interest is C. Pennsylvanicus, interested in most native ants to my area.