AC test tubes cracking?

A discussion on AC ant keeping equipment and accessories

Moderator: ooper01

CANant

AC test tubes cracking?

Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:27 pm

This is happening to my AC test tubes. 6 of my 7 tubes are getting cracks everywhere and in all different directions. Any one else have this happen??? I can’t figure out why, if it’s something I’ve done to cause it or if it’s a manufacturer defect. I have never used isopropyl alcohol on them because I heard that can cause cracking. It seems to be were ever a heat cable is near or touching. The support team said heat shouldn’t do that. I’d like to replace them with glass tubes but glass tubes don’t come in the same size. My whole set up is AC products at this time so I kind of need them to fit. They are 1.7cm in diameter (17mm).
For more images and video:https://imgur.com/a/ZALhrar
Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Temnothorax ambiguus/curvispinosus (Acorn ant)

Lasius Interjectus (Larger citronella ant) with host workers: L. Americanus

🐜❤️

ArizonanAnts

Re: AC test tubes cracking?

Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:00 pm

Actually heat can be a cause. Whenever you heat something up the molecules start to speed up and expand. The result of cracks is because it is expanding. BTW AC support team can sometimes be unhelpful. Sometimes I feel that it is a machine answering the email. Anyway I hope this helps.
Keeper of

Nothing right now :cry:

CANant

Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:03 pm

ArizonanAnts wrote:
Actually heat can be a cause. Whenever you heat something up the molecules start to speed up and expand. The result of cracks is because it is expanding. BTW AC support team can sometimes be unhelpful. Sometimes I feel that it is a machine answering the email. Anyway I hope this helps.
That was my original thought too but when they said it shouldn’t be the cause and that many people have a heat cable running under it without issues. They also pointed out no one has complained about it before. I hope this doesn’t happen with the formicariums as well.
Keeper of:

🐜❤️

NKantsalberta

Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:39 pm

CANant wrote:
ArizonanAnts wrote:
That was my original thought too but when they said it shouldn’t be the cause and that many people have a heat cable running under it without issues. They also pointed out no one has complained about it before. I hope this doesn’t happen with the formicariums as well.
I have had this happen with 4 of my tubes. I don't have heat directly on them. May be a flaw in the material? So far, only the test tubes have cracked, not the portals or other equipment from AC.
GAN farmer for Edmonton and area, Alberta, Canada.

Facebook/Instagram : @NKantsalberta

Alberta Keeper's FB Group : Alberta Ant Keepers and Enthusiasts

CANant

Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:10 pm

NKantsalberta wrote:
CANant wrote:
ArizonanAnts wrote:
I have had this happen with 4 of my tubes. I don't have heat directly on them. May be a flaw in the material? So far, only the test tubes have cracked, not the portals or other equipment from AC.
That’s good to know. Thank you for sharing. Maybe if this is an issue that others have had but no one has reported it they will look into it further.
Keeper of:

🐜❤️

CANant

Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:21 pm

NKantsalberta wrote:
CANant wrote:
ArizonanAnts wrote:
AntsCanada is now looking into the problem and helping me with the issue. The exact cause is still unknown but I would suggest contacting support to notify them you have had the same issue and providing images or video proof. Or anyone that has had the same issue.
Maybe it has to do with our climate and putting the ants and test tubes in colder environments for diapause or even our cleaning process.
It would be good to know to prevent it in the future or prevent others from having the same thing happen.
Keeper of:

🐜❤️

NKantsalberta

Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:58 pm

CANant wrote:
NKantsalberta wrote:
CANant wrote:

AntsCanada is now looking into the problem and helping me with the issue. The exact cause is still unknown but I would suggest contacting support to notify them you have had the same issue and providing images or video proof. Or anyone that has had the same issue.
Maybe it has to do with our climate and putting the ants and test tubes in colder environments for diapause or even our cleaning process.
It would be good to know to prevent it in the future or prevent others from having the same thing happen.
Awesome! I have unfortunately thrown away the ones that have cracked, but I will definitely be tracking what I do going forward. It is odd, because I keep my ants in my garage over winter, and it has never dropped below 4 Celsius. I haven't had direct eat on the tubes either. I am wondering if it is possible the pressure caused by pushing the cotton into the water, and then more pressure caused by the expansion of the water / gasses when heated?
GAN farmer for Edmonton and area, Alberta, Canada.

Facebook/Instagram : @NKantsalberta

Alberta Keeper's FB Group : Alberta Ant Keepers and Enthusiasts

CANant

Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:10 am

NKantsalberta wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:58 pm
CANant wrote:
NKantsalberta wrote:

Awesome! I have unfortunately thrown away the ones that have cracked, but I will definitely be tracking what I do going forward. It is odd, because I keep my ants in my garage over winter, and it has never dropped below 4 Celsius. I haven't had direct eat on the tubes either. I am wondering if it is possible the pressure caused by pushing the cotton into the water, and then more pressure caused by the expansion of the water / gasses when heated?
Very good point and makes sense. Could even be a combination of it all. Also would explain why some are worse than others.
I wish they were glass but then I wonder if the tube and hole adapters would cause the tubes to break when separating if it’s a snug fit. Smart of AC to make a size that is an in between size for glass so it almost forces you to use their tubes on their systems to have a proper fit.
Keeper of:

🐜❤️

Ghouls

Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:28 am

8 out of the 10 AC Test Tubes I purchased now have long cracks going parallel with the tubes. They usually only crack that one way for me.

(I looked up this topic about 6 months ago, and couldn’t find too much information on it. But more, and more of my test tubes started getting cracks in them.)

Finally, my AC Portal has now gained cracks all over it. And instead of the long parallel lines like the test tubes, these ones are just scattered, and look like a mess...

These test tubes/portals are kept in very safe spaces where they can’t be damaged accidentally, and etc.

Has their been any additional information about this? Manufacturing defects, or something? I need to get more test tubes, but if these are just going to keep cracking, it’s not worth it, but at the same time, I’m at a huge disadvantage, because I have other AC products, and they’re mainly only compatible with each other.

CANant

Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:15 am

Ghouls wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:28 am
8 out of the 10 AC Test Tubes I purchased now have long cracks going parallel with the tubes. They usually only crack that one way for me.

(I looked up this topic about 6 months ago, and couldn’t find too much information on it. But more, and more of my test tubes started getting cracks in them.)

Finally, my AC Portal has now gained cracks all over it. And instead of the long parallel lines like the test tubes, these ones are just scattered, and look like a mess...

These test tubes/portals are kept in very safe spaces where they can’t be damaged accidentally, and etc.

Has their been any additional information about this? Manufacturing defects, or something? I need to get more test tubes, but if these are just going to keep cracking, it’s not worth it, but at the same time, I’m at a huge disadvantage, because I have other AC products, and they’re mainly only compatible with each other.
I would contact AntsCanada at info@AntsCanada.com

If more people report the issue maybe something will be done. I’m not sure what’s causing it. It may have to do with the cold (diapause time) but I’m not 100% sure. I’ve heard isopropyl alcohol can cause cracks but I have never used it on any AC products.
Keeper of:

🐜❤️