Ant Tower Questions

A discussion on AC ant keeping equipment and accessories

Moderator: ooper01

PAants

Ant Tower Questions

Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:40 pm

I just got the new Ant Tower in the mail and I love the design. I'm really excited to see it in action, but I have two questions. One, I see it has a sort of notch or trench on the underside of the hydration tray. Is that for use of a heating cable? Two, how recommended is it to use the air circulation port? Is that something I should look into right away, or only if it develops problems with condensation or mold later on, or do certain kinds of ants need more air flow?

DontSquishTheAnt

Re: Ant Tower Questions

Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:57 am

PAants wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:40 pm
I just got the new Ant Tower in the mail and I love the design. I'm really excited to see it in action, but I have two questions. One, I see it has a sort of notch or trench on the underside of the hydration tray. Is that for use of a heating cable? Two, how recommended is it to use the air circulation port? Is that something I should look into right away, or only if it develops problems with condensation or mold later on, or do certain kinds of ants need more air flow?
Well, Okay, I don't know the answer to your first question, but from my understanding, using the ventilation port reduces mold outbreaks and tells your ants that the out world is outside of the nest. I'm not sure how how important the latter is for small colonies, though.
First year and already enjoying it!

Founding:
1 Solenopsis molesta colony with ~10 nanitic workers and lots of brood

Genesis 1:24