I am Looking for some advice on a Camera/gopro to record my queens progress

A collection of ant photos, artwork, etc.

Moderator: ooper01

Jager89

I am Looking for some advice on a Camera/gopro to record my queens progress

Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:59 pm

I was looking at the Gopro Hero 7 black but i don't know if a gopro would be worth it or not. I saw someone on another post bought a raspberry pi IR camera but i have no clue how those work lol. So if there are any other Ant keepers who are recording their Colony progression while not at home to actually physically doing it yourself, could you recommend some Camera or other recording devices?

AM1C39

Re: I am Looking for some advice on a Camera/gopro to record my queens progress

Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:55 pm

Ask AntsLuxembourg he is always doing live ant streams on his Chanel when he is not there.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

Jager89

Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:48 pm

I have been looking into Camcorders some name brand ones seem to sell camcorders with really good and multi level NV but they are expensive almost 2000 canadian.

RuinedDrone

Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:27 am

I got this using a Raspbry pi zero and pic cam IR module

https://youtu.be/vahe6-bWPu8

So £50 and its a decent image.

But be aware, do you want to have macro like this or a wider view. You dont need an "expensive" camara, but learning a but about filming macro is you want close up images. Once you are trying to run close up, things like Apature, Focal lenths, lighting all become crucial. ITs no longer a case of point and shoot and let the camaras auto exposure / focus take care of things, it become a much more manual process to get the picture right. Or you need to spend serious money.

My sugestion is start with a cheaper camare and take some time to experiment / ask questions as you go untill you know exactly what you want. you may end up with camara for macro close up, and a different one for wide angle outworld and maybe endoscope for down in to the burrows. All equire very different set ups, so start simple and gorw in to it.

Jager89

Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:15 pm

RuinedDrone wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:27 am
I got this using a Raspbry pi zero and pic cam IR module

https://youtu.be/vahe6-bWPu8

So £50 and its a decent image.

But be aware, do you want to have macro like this or a wider view. You dont need an "expensive" camara, but learning a but about filming macro is you want close up images. Once you are trying to run close up, things like Apature, Focal lenths, lighting all become crucial. ITs no longer a case of point and shoot and let the camaras auto exposure / focus take care of things, it become a much more manual process to get the picture right. Or you need to spend serious money.

My sugestion is start with a cheaper camare and take some time to experiment / ask questions as you go untill you know exactly what you want. you may end up with camara for macro close up, and a different one for wide angle outworld and maybe endoscope for down in to the burrows. All equire very different set ups, so start simple and gorw in to it.
I also don't know how to set up raspberry pis and have no desire to learn how to, I'm not after photos I'm after just video and i say camera because cameras these days do photos and video, while camcorders are video only so Camera kinda covers both. If i was gonna do a jury rig style thing i'd learn how to take apart broken cameras (which i have a ***** ton of was taking a heavy machinery operators class and found a bag of retro camera that the local highschool had tossed out due to various reasons) to make my own camera but again not really what i wanna do. Also not really trusting of the security features on any wireless webcam/camera to many hackers out there these days with nothing better to do than to hack into peoples cameras and home security to **** with them (and before people say that you cannot hack them yes you can my friend had randsom ware installed on his PC Via his raspberry pi 3 years ago), and define "decent" because my cell phone can get "decent" images with its marco zoom but that's not what I'm looking for. what i am after is a camera that can record in the dark without the hassle of having to set it up myself, It doesn't need to see every hair on the ants i would simply like to have a video documentation of the colony closer and in more focus than a cellphone so if anything ever goes wrong i have video to go back and review for possible reasons.

RuinedDrone

Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:35 am

Umm I am not sure why you talk about "photos" it was assumed you want video. I think every one these days takes the term "camara" meaning both it will support both Video and Photos.

Second you dont need to teach me about network or IT security, that is quite literally my job whcih i have been doing for 20 years, protecting far more critical stuff than a web cam :lol: . And if people get there stuff hacked its noramly becasue they have not spent time learning and do something stupid. And if you allow a streming cam to be accessed from out side your network, again then your asking for trouble. You can hack any thing given time, ability and access. It's actuly pretty simple to reduce the oppatunity for a "hacker" as you call them to exploite any one or all of these. 90% of successsul hacks are due to people not knowing what they are doing and opening the door for the hackers.

However,

You are asking for low light, close up photography (this is photo and video to be clear). And macro photography is not every hair its exactly what you are asking about "closer". I wont explain the physcis behind this but basicaly the closer you are the less light that you can take in to the lens, which for filming in dark is going to require Infrared light. The less light = longer exposure + wider apature = lower quility images / frames.

So your options are if you dont want to "learn" and want some thing to plug in is you will need to spend a fair bit of money becasue low light filming at high quility is not cheap. As Jager89 says your looking at 1,000's if you dont want a grainy greyscale image.

AS you have said you want to film i dark you will need an IR camara and you will have a grea scale image, is that decent enough for you. But honeslty if you dont want to learn about filming then your going to struggle to get good images even if you havethe right equipment.

Jager89

Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:30 am

RuinedDrone wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:35 am

Second you dont need to teach me about network or IT security, that is quite literally my job whcih i have been doing for 20 years, protecting far more critical stuff than a web cam :lol: . And if people get there stuff hacked its noramly becasue they have not spent time learning and do something stupid. And if you allow a streming cam to be accessed from out side your network, again then your asking for trouble. You can hack any thing given time, ability and access. It's actuly pretty simple to reduce the oppatunity for a "hacker" as you call them to exploite any one or all of these. 90% of successsul hacks are due to people not knowing what they are doing and opening the door for the hackers.

You are very very wrong on your statistics there pal. How often do web hacks take place? Hackers attack every 39 seconds, on average 2,244 times a day. Hacking occurs every day just because you don't hear about it doesn't mean it's not happening. Cyber crimes are rarely reported because most people will just wipe the system and reinstall or don't think it is important, and the ones that do report are usually Hospitals and major companies. You don't call the FBI in to investigate a ransomware private pc while when ransomware hits a hospital or powerplant you hear about it for months.

A great deal of cyber-crime goes unreported, swept under the rug, so to speak. The FBI's Internal Crime Complaint Center tells us that approximately 286,000 cyber-crime incidents were reported in 2016 with a loss estimate of $1,300,000,000.

RuinedDrone

Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:28 am

Really i am not going to discuss this with you. I have delt with hacking attempts involving £100 million in my career. IF you bothere reading no one said it does nto happen. But that its normaly the result of mestakes made by the person settign up the systems.

Read what is written before responding with what you think is cleaver "facts" you sound like a noobie.

Also you laughable "wipe the system and reinstall".. umm may be if your a home user, but when you talking inteletual proptery of £10millon's getting encrypted by malware or socail enginnering hacks (and these two metods account or the vast majority of what you are thinking of as "hacking". Malware / ransomeware attacks and or social engineering. They almost all require a person to do some thing "silly" like click on a link or tell some one details they should not to work,

Then the other cyber crimes are things like phishing email, which again require the victim to respond and hand over there details

next is scraping attacks where people go looking for data that has been left open on the internet and containes credentials. There is a whoe set of tools (google) to search for this kind of stuff. its shocking how much again system admins leave lying around. This is likley the "hack" if there was one that took place agisnt your mate. many systems haveinsecure back doors left in them and if some one leaves the credentials around then all of them are venurable and "hackers" buy this information and go looking for devices. But if you leave your device with defualt credentials on the public internet then the people who break in to that we call script kiddies becasue the havent a clue about hacking jsut "copy and paste" beacuse the victim dosen't knwo what there doing.

Not my current role but past role we saw about 5,000+ gacking attempts aday, most work script kidies who didnt have a clue what they were doing. and the rest was easly mitigated,

In terms of hacking a well protected and designed computer network. There are few people in the world capable of doing it and they are mostly working in goverments and security firms. You should go to defcon one year and actuly learn a bit about hacking and what it is.

you shoudl also read waht being posted before replying, and not think copying from wikipidia makes you an expert in this matter.

As i say, Me 20+ years working in network security, you experince and quilifications (oh yes i have quilifications in the field as well)

RuinedDrone

Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:41 am

When you look behind the scenes of some of the most well know hacks like Stuxnet, you find it was some one plugging in a USB drive when they should not have. The system was perfectly secure, it in act had no network connections to the out side so it was "unhackable" in theory. Untill some bright spark picked up a USB drive and walked inside and ran it.

This is the same as insalling a high security door and then leaving the key and access code taped to the outside. That all "hacking" (which is the wrong term but lets stick with it) is. Finding where people / sys admins have left the keys. some times you have to find one key to open a door to find the next. Some time you have to ask for the key (such as get a user to click on a download like, phone up and pretend to be from the bank). And if you chain enough togather you can find a way in. But if you desing the system correctly and the people working on them know what they are doing. Aside from the effort of an entire goverment cyber army directing there attention your way for a few months you can say your sytem is unhacakble. Aside from possible zero day attacks, but they are actuly rare in the wild and if you have a propper design you can mitiage agisnt a single or mutiply zero day attacks using layers of security.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuxnet

ANThonyluscious

Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:44 am

Came looking for camera advice like OP but got this instead. My favorite part was when dude said "I'm really not discussing this" and then proceeded to in fact discuss it. Quite thoroughly I might add. :lol:
Currently keeping: Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony just moved into an AC hybrid mini. :D