a few pointers on macro photography

A collection of ant photos, artwork, etc.

Moderator: ooper01

MorbidBugg

a few pointers on macro photography

Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:54 pm

Some people have amazing shots that get ruined due to fuzz. As someone who uses their camera on almost daily basis let me offer some tips. First it does not matter what camera you use if your lighting is inadequate chances are you've got problems from the start may I suggest building a cheap light boxhttps://youtu.be/VBxo6rbHtBM now even the most basic picture properly lit comes the minuet details. The closer the better it is easier to move the model than the camera. Any movement of the camera unless fully auto will be needed to re adjust. If auto focus there is a chance you have to manual tell it to refocus a few times. Try multiple angles, after a few shots shift the camera and readjust and take more pictures it's easier on the model if it's all done at once not over two or three days.

Plan how you want to execute your shot. Take your time and don't rush.

Always view and edit in a program such as adobe or other editing software. a little touch in the after effects can go along way.

Also use a tripod or something to steady the camera. I use a time delay to avoid as many shake blurry photos as possible so there's a delay from pushing the button to when it takes a photo. Most current cameras and phone apps have this option I can't tell you how much frustration you can save.

Again be patient. Have fun. And practice!
Ants are life's most successful invaders. Understand and respect that power.

slink1212

Re: a few pointers on macro photography

Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:33 pm

Thanks for this manual :) +1

drshan

Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:05 am

Thank you for the guide. Definitely going to try the lightbox out.
DO you have any suggestion on easy to use, reasonably priced point and shoot camers? Been looking at an older Nikon Coolpix B500 instead of using my phone, since my S8 isn't taking great shots any more.

Thank you! :)
2 x Rhytidoponera metallica 5 - 9 workers.
1 x Iridomyrmex bicknelli 40+ workers
1 x Camponotus Sp 8 workers
Founding : 12+

4 x Selenotypus Sp
2 x Rose Hair Plumpies
1 x PHLOGIUS SP.
1 x Desert Scorpion
23 x Rainforest Scorpion

AmyGill

Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:55 am

Thanks a lot for this! I'm new to macro photography, so this is indeed really useful! By the way, could you maybe make another post about some good macro lenses? I don't know whether I should buy the Canon ones cause I'm just getting started with macro photography, and I don't wanna spend a fortune on it. Until now, I've been taking photos with my Sony Alpha A7R. Should I get a Canon one? Also, I've been editing on this website https://photorelive.com/services/product-photo-editing. Do you think I should start using Adobe instead? Thanks in advance!