Ants in Agriculture

Myrmecology & Publications, Ant Keeper Journals, Ant Blogs/Vlogs, Photography, Ant Art, Museums, Websites, and Advocacies

Moderator: ooper01

Warclak

Ants in Agriculture

Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:07 pm

Hi there, I'm doing research into integrating ants into small scale farming, not for business, just for homesteading. I know weaver ants are a good option in asia, africa, and australia, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any good native species to northern California, specifically the bay area, and what tips you might have for integration into farming.

AntsLuxembourg

Re: Ants in Agriculture

Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:40 am

I would say that some antspecies might come in handy as "biological pesticides" as they might just protect your Orchard from damaging ground insects. However they will only work to a certain extend. Especially if the colonies are just very small and don't have many workers. I don't know what species to recommend but most definitely a local species.

Since you mentioned Asia, AntsCanada mentioned that some ants live on Dragon Fruit plants/trees and protect the Fruits this way.

Of course to maintain a healthy colony you need to make sure that they can find enough food to not just decide that they need to move on. ;)

I don't know how well this list is maintained but it might be something to start off on.
https://www.inaturalist.org/check_lists/11007-Ants-of-California
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Ants in Agriculture

Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:20 pm

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:40 am
I would say that some antspecies might come in handy as "biological pesticides" as they might just protect your Orchard from damaging ground insects. However they will only work to a certain extend. Especially if the colonies are just very small and don't have many workers. I don't know what species to recommend but most definitely a local species.

Since you mentioned Asia, AntsCanada mentioned that some ants live on Dragon Fruit plants/trees and protect the Fruits this way.

Of course to maintain a healthy colony you need to make sure that they can find enough food to not just decide that they need to move on. ;)

I don't know how well this list is maintained but it might be something to start off on.
https://www.inaturalist.org/check_lists/11007-Ants-of-California
I know that Camponotus Floridanus has been recorded to defend plants with EFN’s(Extra floral nectaries)
When you accidentally reply to yourself…