Found 6 queens in my pool :D

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

i2chip

Found 6 queens in my pool :D

Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:57 pm

I saved 6 queens from my pool, they all have their wings. I know at least 2 are mated because I found them floating right next to the male. All of them are the same species.
Found the first one at 1:30pm

i2chip

Re: Found 6 queens in my pool :D

Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:33 am

I would just like to say that since posted I have found a 7th queen in the pool (also with wings) but this one took her wings off in the test tube, she's the only one that's alone the others are in groups of 3 and 3. Will these queens get along? Also I forgot to say but they're about 4mm or so long.

idahoantgirl

Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:53 pm

i2chip wrote:I would just like to say that since posted I have found a 7th queen in the pool (also with wings) but this one took her wings off in the test tube, she's the only one that's alone the others are in groups of 3 and 3. Will these queens get along? Also I forgot to say but they're about 4mm or so long.
they will not get along. You need to separate them immediately, or they probably will rip each other to pieces
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

i2chip

Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:03 pm

Thanks, I'll do that asap, any idea what they are though?

NikolaMladenovic

Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:12 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
i2chip wrote:I would just like to say that since posted I have found a 7th queen in the pool (also with wings) but this one took her wings off in the test tube, she's the only one that's alone the others are in groups of 3 and 3. Will these queens get along? Also I forgot to say but they're about 4mm or so long.
they will not get along. You need to separate them immediately, or they probably will rip each other to pieces
Hey, they wont you see because when antqueens teams up with eachother to start a colony it's called co-founding.
When queen ants co-found they put thier brood together in the nest they have built. Then later on when the first worker hatches it will have a pheromone and if one queen dosen't have that smell/pheromone they will kill her. So what the ants do is that they put thier brood as close as they can to prevent that ro happen. And then if they now succed trying to co-found and gets a huge colony then the stronger queens will try to elliminate the weaker queens by nipping them and terrorise the queen until it gives up and dies. So, don't worry Chip you will be able to succed with a colony but i can't assure you that all queens will survive though.
I'm very ANThusiastic :lol:

i2chip

Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:23 pm

No worries, they're all safe from each other now :D

i2chip

Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:06 am

This is one of the ones that took their wings off

Mdrogun

Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:38 pm

First off, The queens might not of killed each other. If they lived in the Test tube together for some time then they might polygenus which is nice or they could be Pleometroic. Either way, It is best to put some together and leave some by themselves when you catch so many queens, because some ant species do better with more than 1 queen.

I think these might be brachymyrmex although I am unsure.

i2chip

Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:09 pm

Mdrogun wrote:I think they might be Brachymyrmex although I am unsure.
I took a few looks online and I think they're Brachymyrmex patagonicus, and I am probably wrong myself, but I think I just might be right :)

i2chip

Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:12 pm

I've gotten some close ups on one of these queens that those to keep her wings (I picked one at random). I'm still not sure what they are :|