Need help identifying some queens i caught!

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

cmzneu

Need help identifying some queens i caught!

Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:23 pm

I'm not sure the correct way to post this so i'm just going to name the ant by a number and add a few links to pics of each ant and so helpful info(in my opinion i may be wrong). The ruler in the pictures is in centimeters. All these ants are collected in Argentina in the state of Mendoza.

Ant 1
Also this first ant(ant 1) is the only one i have who is not doing well, she has scattered some eggs around the test tube but doesn't seem to be taking care of them and i have observed her trying to break out by pulling on the cotton, i'm worried she may be semi claustral or parasitic or something, she seams to be a type of harvester ant.

Ant 2
This seams to be a big carpenter ant of some sort.

Ant 3
This one is really small compared to her workers and the males.

Ant 4

Ant 5
The workers of this one i think are really fast, queen was pretty fast too.

Ant 6

Ant 7
This one i think is just some species of fire ant.

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Re: Need help identifying some queens i caught!

Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:52 am

WOW! Great ants! I am inexperienced with ants from Argentina, but the first one is a type of fungus-growing ant I believe. I don't know the exact species or genus, but perhaps Trachymyrmex sp or Acromyrmex sp? I recognize Ant 5 to possibly be Paratrechina longicornis (black crazy ants). The last ant, perhaps Solenopsis sp.
Ant Love Forever.

cmzneu

Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:00 pm

AntsCanada wrote:WOW! Great ants! I am inexperienced with ants from Argentina, but the first one is a type of fungus-growing ant I believe. I don't know the exact species or genus, but perhaps Trachymyrmex sp or Acromyrmex sp? I recognize Ant 5 to possibly be Paratrechina longicornis (black crazy ants). The last ant, perhaps Solenopsis sp.
Thanks for the reply and what type of care should i provide the fungus growing ant(ant 1) because like i said she is not doing well she has her eggs scattered all about and she is not tending them, she trys to break out of the test tube, i have read that they go out and forage and that when they leave the nest they carry fungus spores on her body, should i just provide her with and out world and some food like lettuce or seeds and see if she starts growing fungus because i live in the city and have no access to fungus, what foods should i try???

jonathan21700

Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:23 pm

1. Probably Acromyrmex.
2. Camponotus sp.
3. Maybe Nylanderia.
4. Pogonomyrmex I think.
5. I'm not sure maybe some sort of Dolichoderinae.
6. Pheidole sp. I think.
7. Maybe Solenopsis but can you make more photos?

cmzneu

Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:18 pm

I can't take more photos at the moment but thanks for the answers, my real concern is my first ant, it is not doing well, kinda wanders around and hasn't grown any fungus even though i have provided her with an ample variety of leaves and plant matter.(lettuce, broccoli, etc).
Any ideas on what to feed her? because right now she is basically just waiting to die! please help!

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:49 pm

cmzneu wrote:I can't take more photos at the moment but thanks for the answers, my real concern is my first ant, it is not doing well, kinda wanders around and hasn't grown any fungus even though i have provided her with an ample variety of leaves and plant matter.(lettuce, broccoli, etc).
Any ideas on what to feed her? because right now she is basically just waiting to die! please help!
Well big thing is you can'r be looking at her everyday. All queens need to be left alone in a dark warm place for a month or more so they feel comfortable and will settle down to do what they need to. disturbing her every day or even every other day will stress out the queen and cause he to do nothing, It's one of the hardest parts of starting a colony.

To be honest, leave her alone and until you get a answer here or from here don't mess with her. If she's going to make it she has to do it on her own some times. I'll see if I can direct someone here that might be able to help.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

jonathan21700

Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:58 am

You might have found her foraging after the nuptial flight at that time she has probably dug a founding chamber and left her fungus pellet there. The only thing you can do is get a small peace of fungus from a mature colony and hopefully she will start caring for it.

Mdrogun

Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:41 pm

jonathan21700 wrote:1. Probably Acromyrmex.
2. Camponotus sp.
3. Maybe Nylanderia.
4. Pogonomyrmex I think.
5. I'm not sure maybe some sort of Dolichoderinae.
6. Pheidole sp. I think.
7. Maybe Solenopsis but can you make more photos?
Just wanted to make a few corrections.

1. I believe you are right I'm fairly positive this is Acromyrmex
2. I agree this is definitely Camponotus
3. This is most likely Nylanderia but it could also be brachymyrmex
4. Definitely not Pogonomyrmex, this is Pheidole
5. Looks like Iridomyrmex or Paratrechina longicornis
6. Could be Pheidole, but it is so small and I can't see the front of the ant
7. Could be Solenopsis but it reminds me more of an army ant queen like Neivamyrmex more

also if you want help on how to raise an Acromyrmex queen here is a journal on them:
http://www.formiculture.com/topic/134-d ... 2-19-2016/

Sorry about the picture quality my Pogo queen hides in the formicarium and it is hard to get enough light in to take a good picture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.