Queen ID request, caught in Poland 19th July

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Pr0boszcz

Queen ID request, caught in Poland 19th July

Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:40 pm

Hello, 3 days ago I have found a wingless queen ant on my carpet in my flat. I live in Poland relatively close to the sea (can see it from my window), theres also a forest next to my block of flats.

I have tried recording the queen ant and here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpBWIudBgRo

She seems to be a very calm ant and even when I was moving her from a TicTac package to the test tube she didn't seem very bothered and was trying to clean herself (and her back/bottom too).

I would like to request help in identifying the species of this ant. Is this video sufficient enough to identify which species is it?

I'm mostly interested because I'm not sure what sort of environment would be the best for her.

NKantsalberta

Re: Queen ID request, caught in Poland 19th July

Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:44 pm

A couple of close up pictures of front top and side view would help greatly. Also a length measurement. I'm not familiar with specifics for non north american ants, but she could be from lasius or formica
GAN farmer for Edmonton and area, Alberta, Canada.

Facebook/Instagram : @NKantsalberta

Alberta Keeper's FB Group : Alberta Ant Keepers and Enthusiasts

Pr0boszcz

Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:48 pm

You have the measurement on the video though (the scale is in centimeters), but I will try to make some photos then.

Pr0boszcz

Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:26 pm

Just as expected none of my phones can take a good close up photo, the recording seems much clearer.
Here are my attempts though:
1)Image
2)Image
3)Image
4)Here you can see her trying to pull a single cotton string.Image
5)Image
6)Image
7)Image
8)Image

Unfortunately while trying to clean off the sticker glue i scratched the test tube surface a bit and the scrathes mess up the details, although it seems more detailed on the video. Oh and when I look at some ant photos she looks like Lasius niger to me, but I have no experience with ants.

Thorond0r

Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:37 am

I think you have a Formica fusca queen
First year of antkeeping, already enjoying it!

Currently founding:

Lasius niger
Lasius umbratus
Lasius flavus

Still hoping to find a Formica queen.

Pr0boszcz

Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:58 am

Thorond0r wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:37 am
I think you have a Formica fusca queen
Any characteristics that I should look for to confirm that it is indeed the one?

Btw she laid her first egg today.

Thorond0r

Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:07 am

To be 100% sure you would have to take a look at the hairs on her gaster but honestly i'm not proficient at this myself, so if you want more info on that you should ask someone like batspiderfish, who is waaaay better at ID'ing

Currently founding:

Lasius niger
Lasius umbratus
Lasius flavus

Pr0boszcz

Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:43 am

Thorond0r wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:07 am
To be 100% sure you would have to take a look at the hairs on her gaster but honestly i'm not proficient at this myself, so if you want more info on that you should ask someone like batspiderfish, who is waaaay better at ID'ing
Hairs you say... hmm I have tried looking from various angles and light sources but I just can't seem to see any distinguishable hairs on her gaster.

Thorond0r

Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:51 am

Well if there are no hairs on her gaster it's not fusca... fusca queens have short upstanding hairs along the horizontal bands on their gaster... So she is Formica sp. for now untill someone more experienced helps you out... Sorry i can't be of more help

Currently founding:

Lasius niger
Lasius umbratus
Lasius flavus

Pr0boszcz

Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:13 pm

Okay so I decided to go outside and take a look what sort of ants live nearby.

Decided to record a video with my phone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gy_H-goNO0

I have noticed 3 types of ants: small red ants (around 3mm long), small black ants (around 3mm long), big black ants (around 6mm long). At first I thought the big ones are super workers but after seeing them carry eggs that are almost as big as them I wasn't so sure anymore (can be seen on the video). None of these ants can be found in the forest (seen in the video) and they all seem to be very calm ants, especially the small red ones (can be seen on the video). The ants found in the forest here are mostly big red/black ones that are super aggressive and attack anything that gets near within 20cm, be it your hand, the test tube or your shoe - put anything near them and they immediately turn around and attack, so the queen is most likely NOT from the forest.

Now I think my queen is most likely one of these 3 mentioned since on the same day I found her there were many of the queens roaming around on the pavement on that day (many of them squashed by people passing by sadly).

Apparently my phones can record at much higher quality than they make photos... anyways I decided to catch one of the big black ant workers and here are the photos:

1) Image
2) Image
3) Image

Also took some with my old Nokia:

1) Image
2) Image

Not sure if all of this can help at all to identify my queen, but hopefully it helps. Both the big and small black workers resemble the queen pretty well but if the big ones are actually regular workers can a queen that is just a bit bigger be one of them? (6mm vs 8mm).