Re: Identify Queen Social Parasite

Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:51 pm

TheRealAntMan wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:06 pm
NKantsalberta wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:19 pm
TheRealAntMan wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:17 pm
Yes once the workers eclose, the Queen will start to lay eggs and the host workers will take care of them.
Would you know the host species? Ive tried two different formica species including her own and mine just killed workers, even though they tended to each other, and ignored pupae
What species did you try? How did you introduce them to the queen? You’re only supposed to give the parasitic queen pupae, not workers.
Ive researched different methods but I chilled live workers so they were docile. And I tried pupae before the workers but the pupae went ignored and the first queen I had died for whatever reason. I was only asking for the host species.
GAN farmer for Edmonton and area, Alberta, Canada.

Facebook/Instagram : @NKantsalberta

Alberta Keeper's FB Group : Alberta Ant Keepers and Enthusiasts

NKantsalberta

Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:16 pm

NKantsalberta wrote:
TheRealAntMan wrote:
NKantsalberta wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:19 pm

Would you know the host species? Ive tried two different formica species including her own and mine just killed workers, even though they tended to each other, and ignored pupae
What species did you try? How did you introduce them to the queen? You’re only supposed to give the parasitic queen pupae, not workers.
Ive researched different methods but I chilled live workers so they were docile. And I tried pupae before the workers but the pupae went ignored and the first queen I had died for whatever reason. I was only asking for the host species.
I used pupae and workers from a colony of the same species of the queen, and also from a dofferent species of Formica I'm not sure its specifics however, just that theyre black, either podzolica or neogagates

TheRealAntMan

Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:29 pm

NKantsalberta wrote:
NKantsalberta wrote:
TheRealAntMan wrote:

I used pupae and workers from a colony of the same species of the queen, and also from a dofferent species of Formica I'm not sure its specifics however, just that theyre black, either podzolica or neogagates
I recommend either Pallidefulva or Subsericea.
An ants' strength can be rivaled by few animals compared to relative body size.

NKantsalberta

Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:48 pm

TheRealAntMan wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:29 pm
NKantsalberta wrote:
NKantsalberta wrote:

I recommend either Pallidefulva or Subsericea.
I will try and see... Thanks for the suggestions