Queen identification

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Thorond0r

Re: Queen identification

Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:29 am

The link to the image doesn't work..
Also, do you have any idea how big she is?
Try measuring her if possible
First year of antkeeping, already enjoying it!

Currently founding:

Lasius niger
Lasius umbratus
Lasius flavus

Still hoping to find a Formica queen.

Thorond0r

Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:21 am

I think this is a Lasius sp. but it's a bit difficult to tell from this photo alone without knowing her size... It might be a Formica sp...
However considering your description of how you found her i'm going with Lasius (most likely niger, but that really requires better close-ups of her head)
The 'white stuff' are indeed her eggs so she is doing fine in that regard.
For now just keep it up like you have, disturbing her as little as possible and make sure the cotton stays moist and you should have no problems getting to your first few workers ;)

Currently founding:

Lasius niger
Lasius umbratus
Lasius flavus

Thorond0r

Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:39 am

Well this is only my first year of actually keeping ants as well, so personally i don't have a lot of tips for you yet ;)
One thing i have noticed though with my own queens is that they are really happy if you give them a tiny drop of honey after they've been in their setup for a couple of days. I do it using a toothpick cause you really only need a small amount.

Currently founding:

Lasius niger
Lasius umbratus
Lasius flavus

NKantsalberta

Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:37 pm

Thorond0r wrote:
Well this is only my first year of actually keeping ants as well, so personally i don't have a lot of tips for you yet ;)
One thing i have noticed though with my own queens is that they are really happy if you give them a tiny drop of honey after they've been in their setup for a couple of days. I do it using a toothpick cause you really only need a small amount.
Hey Thorond0r, excellent advise. I just wanted to say, I noticed you are looking for Formica queens. I have found many these last few days. All spuratically (1 a day) but all were at the edge of green spaces by my house. I'm in canada and our climates are different but they should be appearing in your area soon too. Keep up the search and good work!
GAN farmer for Edmonton and area, Alberta, Canada.

Facebook/Instagram : @NKantsalberta

Alberta Keeper's FB Group : Alberta Ant Keepers and Enthusiasts

Thorond0r

Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:55 pm

NKantsalberta wrote:
Thorond0r wrote:
Hey Thorond0r, excellent advise. I just wanted to say, I noticed you are looking for Formica queens. I have found many these last few days. All spuratically (1 a day) but all were at the edge of green spaces by my house. I'm in canada and our climates are different but they should be appearing in your area soon too. Keep up the search and good work!
Thanks NKantsalberta!
Ah cool! Has it been raining where you live? I read that Formica tend to fly after some rain and currently we have the most severe drought in decades :roll:
But i always carry some jars with me and stay on the look-out just in case they decide they can't wait anymore ;)

Currently founding:

Lasius niger
Lasius umbratus
Lasius flavus

NKantsalberta

Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:57 pm

Thorond0r wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:55 pm
NKantsalberta wrote:
Thorond0r wrote:
Thanks NKantsalberta!
Ah cool! Has it been raining where you live? I read that Formica tend to fly after some rain and currently we have the most severe drought in decades :roll:
But i always carry some jars with me and stay on the look-out just in case they decide they can't wait anymore ;)
Weve been hot and stormy lately so a good combination for both lasius and Formica. Lots of early risers here :D have been seeing more parasitic lasius queens than normal also. Wish I had a host colony established to try raising one.

TheRealAntMan

Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:04 pm

Hard to accurately identify without measurements, but I believe it to be Lasius Neglectus or Lasius Niger.
An ants' strength can be rivaled by few animals compared to relative body size.

Thorond0r

Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:08 pm

Ah yes, perfect weather for flights... Over here Lasius niger has had 2 really big flights on completely random days, but other than that i have not really seen any big flights happening here... I did catch a parasitic queen as well, i'm trying to raise her without a host colony but with some added workers of the genus they normally parasite on.... So far they haven't fought each other so i hope it goes well :D

For Formica i guess it's just a game of luck now or waiting for some rain to finally come our way... Finger crossed :)

Currently founding:

Lasius niger
Lasius umbratus
Lasius flavus

NKantsalberta

Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:06 pm

Thorond0r wrote:
Ah yes, perfect weather for flights... Over here Lasius niger has had 2 really big flights on completely random days, but other than that i have not really seen any big flights happening here... I did catch a parasitic queen as well, i'm trying to raise her without a host colony but with some added workers of the genus they normally parasite on.... So far they haven't fought each other so i hope it goes well :D

For Formica i guess it's just a game of luck now or waiting for some rain to finally come our way... Finger crossed :)
Awesome! You'll have to update on the status of the parasite queen. I attempted to keep a formica parasite queen but only had pupae from her host genus as workers attacked her, she ended up dying while I was away for a week.

Thorond0r

Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:19 pm

NKantsalberta wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:06 pm
Thorond0r wrote:

Awesome! You'll have to update on the status of the parasite queen. I attempted to keep a formica parasite queen but only had pupae from her host genus as workers attacked her, she ended up dying while I was away for a week.
I'll keep let you know how she looks when i next check her :)

Currently founding:

Lasius niger
Lasius umbratus
Lasius flavus