Queen identification

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

NKantsalberta

Re: Queen identification

Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:37 pm

Typmachien wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:31 pm
Is it okay to check my queen daily or is that too.much because i'm so excited and love looking at her just doing her thing!
As long as you do it in the dark and dont touch her enclosure... Or if she is a semi claustral species as they leave the nest to forage..
But you're better off holding back your excitement and leaving her alone. She can become stressed and not lay eggs or even begin eating any she does have now.. Check on her once a week with minimal disturbance and low lighting. Its hard but you can overcome it lol :D with patience you will have a thriving colony with an outworld you can enjoy day in and day out!!
GAN farmer for Edmonton and area, Alberta, Canada.

Facebook/Instagram : @NKantsalberta

Alberta Keeper's FB Group : Alberta Ant Keepers and Enthusiasts

idahoantgirl

Re: Queen identification

Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:31 pm

Thorond0r wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:39 am
Well this is only my first year of actually keeping ants as well, so personally i don't have a lot of tips for you yet ;)
One thing i have noticed though with my own queens is that they are really happy if you give them a tiny drop of honey after they've been in their setup for a couple of days. I do it using a toothpick cause you really only need a small amount.
Fully claustral queens do not need food, and giving them unneeded food stresses them out and increases hazards. (mold, getting stuck in honey, stress, ect.)
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile