Florida carpenter ant queen?... In Pennsylvania?!?!

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

HypernovaRain

Florida carpenter ant queen?... In Pennsylvania?!?!

Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:52 pm

Today I found several queens, one of which appears to be a florida carpenter ant queen. However, I'm in Dingmans ferry Pennsylvania... Is it normal for them to be up this far? Have I misidentified her? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Photo: https://***/2Lm7KvW
Keeping Myrmica sp
(6 Queens)

Batspiderfish

Re: Florida carpenter ant queen?... In Pennsylvania?!?!

Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:52 pm

A Formica social parasite.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

HypernovaRain

Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:28 pm

A social parasite, great... I don't have another colony she can take over... Do you think anyone would like to buy her, or should I just let her go? She is absolutely beautiful, and I feel like letting her go would be a waste. Also I think she's a Formica Aserva.
Keeping Myrmica sp
(6 Queens)

Batspiderfish

Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:45 pm

Formica identification is tricky. There are a lot of sanguinea group Formica flying at this time of year, and if she is anything but Formica aserva, then there is a good chance that the colony will be dependent on Formica brood for its whole lifespan.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.