Is this a lasius niger ant?

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntsLuxembourg

Is this a lasius niger ant?

Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:03 pm

Hello there,
Today I've caught my 10th queen ant inside the city of Luxembourg, just on a sidewalk next to a main road and there only was a small area with grass and even a tree or two I guess. So I am not sure whether she is a lasius niger queen or something else since she can't stick to the smooth surface of the plastic bottle which I used to trap her nor the testtube. The funny thing is all the other 9 queens were able to stick to the surface inside their testtube or the bottle. So I assume that this is a diffrent species and I am sure that the other 9 queens are all the same species although all their gasters got that look as if some air was sealed between two glass plates.

Anyway here are the main informations.
Location: Luxembourg City (Europe) near the road and a small area with grass or dirt.
Size: about 0,9 - 1 cm
Time: Just about 2:30 hours ago (17:05(5:05 p.m.)) like right after I finished work
Behavioural characteristics & Co: The queen is very calm even when I move the testtube or if she falls due to losing her halt. She doesn't move arround a lot inside of her testtube and didn't even try to do much while trapped inside the two diffrent bottles, my big one (The just catch them all bottle) and one of my smaller bottles to seperate a few queens in case I catch more than one.

Note: On the picture she looks kinda yellowish but that is only the shine of the sun or something.
Pictures:

I will put her into the dark of my wardrope to give her some privacy. ^^
I mean even the queens want some time for themselfs. :D
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

Pabloof7

Re: Is this a lasius niger ant?

Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:25 pm

Looks like a lasius niger
Keeping:
x1 Tapinoma erraticum
x2 Lasius niger

Founding:
x7 Camponotus
x1 Unknown

Wishlist:
Tetramorium sp

🐜❤️

AntsLuxembourg

Re: Is this a lasius niger ant?

Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:54 pm

well in that case she just is a really bad glass climber :lol:
I also have queens who still got their wings but also have laid so many eggs ;D
Perhaps this new queen will have laid some eggs by tomorrow as well. Just as the other queens did. :)
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.