Brand New Ant Keeper - can you help me ID this queen?

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

mikemc

Brand New Ant Keeper - can you help me ID this queen?

Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:24 pm

Hello - my 6 year old (next week) has been crazy about ants for the last year and we wanted to start him a colony for his birthday. I ordered a fortress from Tarheel ants (sorry AC) and we went out today to see if we could find a queen. I live in Upstate South Carolina and we found this one right next to a small pond in a nearby park. We had stopped looking for the day and then I looked down and she was right next to my foot out in the open!

At any rate, I'm guessing it is a camponotus pennsylvanicus but I'm so new I'm not sure. Can you all tell me?

Photos here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2h98z8s8zw1f0p0/AAAo3rlKv4Az8aI-t-FH3Yv7a?dl=0

I also couldn't find a very large test tube in a pinch but found two smaller ones at hobby lobby that I thought may work, but it seems pretty tight. What do you all think? I'm so concerned about too little space and too much moisture. I know I"m not supposed check on too much at all but is there anything I need to watch for in the first week before I stop checking in (too much water, behaviors)?

Thanks!

cheetawolf

Re: Brand New Ant Keeper - can you help me ID this queen?

Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:43 pm

im pretty sure its camponotus, although not sure if its pennsylvanicus, i do know that it is very claustrel so put in a proper test tube set up, keep her somewhere warm and dark and check on her only once every 1 to 2 weeks. make sure you wash your hands while preparing the test tube, as mold can grow. wait 1 to 3 months and you will have workers, good luck!
yay for ants!

founding
2x tetramorium immigrans
18x lasius niger

searching for
c. pennsylvanicus

soon to be GAN farmer in richmond BC