Question for Batspiderfish

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

JustCliff

Question for Batspiderfish

Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:05 am

Tried to look for a contact so I didn't have to make a thread to ask this lol.

Is there a website or book you can recommend that will aid in the general identification of ants? Are you familiar with the AC Book and is there a lot of species in it?

I guess I mean how to quickly tell the difference between carpenters, Formica, tetrimorium, etc. Is there common physical characteristics among each that makes them identifiable or is this only relevant when you've got a macro lense?

Every ant that I have identified, I read as much I can find about them and know I'll be able to identify them easily if I see them again. Is this the only way?
I'd like to at least be able to assume if an ant is tetramorium as opposed to lasius or camponatus for scenarious when their nest isn't around help determine their choice of substrate or knowing when a species is flying.

I appreciate any response you can give and I also understand if you don't want to reply to this :lol:
Keeper of:
Temnothorax curvispinosus x2
Camponotus nearcticus
Brachymyrmex depilis
Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Founding:
Camponotus pennsylvanicus
Camponotus herculeanus

JustCliff

Re: Question for Batspiderfish

Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:03 pm

I know I directed this at Batspiderfish but this is only because a good amount of people seem to wait for his reply anyways lol, if anyone has secrets to quickly telling the difference or knows of any good books or websites, I'd appreciate you sharing.

If the only way is to learn each individual ant and recognize it specifically than I guess I'll be able to do this at some point down the road. :D
Keeper of:
Camponotus nearcticus
Brachymyrmex depilis

Founding:
Camponotus herculeanus

Blizzardess

Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:16 pm

I am new as well butI seem to end up looking at this website because you can get a list of species by country:

www.antwiki.org

Much easier to narrow down things.
--
Hoping to catch - Brachymyrmex depilis

MorbidBugg

Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:44 pm

Hey I saw this a few days ago. And my first thought was 'wow I don't think they realize how difficult a question that is.' So lemme try. First I'm learning to Identify ants myself. However I have become quite good at identifying other 'things' such as rocks and plants. And to answer your question painfully blunt. It can take decades to be confident in identifying anything. Especially coming from a hobbyists angle. Some people (from what I've been able to gather Batspiderfish I feel falls into this) have been into biology for quite a long time and has probably collected a plethora of college grade texts as well as frequents myrmicology forums and sites to keep upto date on ever changing names and species identifiers.

Now this shouldn't discourage anyone. So let me answer some questions

First any and all books that discuss in detail ant biology and ants in general is a good start. To be the most accurate try to find books closer to the current year. I would recommend them but I have a trick that I'll discuss in a few moments. Second Google Google Google. Find sites that seem to have a higher intellect of people discussing the subject you're interested in and ask questions (sometimes that question will lead you to a great resource)
Never limit yourself to one resource guide the AC Forums are great but expand and explore other forums. Do not worry people won't think you're jumping ship Infact you'll probably find others doing the same thing. Next find out if there are any hoddy groups in your area that get together and discuss these things.

Now how to sharpen ones Identifying skills. Repetition is the most basic form of brainwash. Keep saying a word and writing a word or sentence until it becomes like an annoying ear worm song, Yknow when you are in the shower and you start singing baby's got back, for no reason. . But with insects. Next I find looking at others responses to accurate ID'S and the go to a identifying site and play the matching game with the posted picture and the information online. One final thing I tend to have older books with names so if I find out a name has been changed or expanded I'll either just manually change the name I the book(cross out the outdated name) or simply write a new page which also is helping me to retain the new information...

I hope this helps in someway good luck and just remember practice practice practice.
Ants are life's most successful invaders. Understand and respect that power.

MorbidBugg

Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:26 pm

Oh! And to addressing the making it easier to identify specific species question that's half on the poster as well with proper I'd requirements and either a fantastic picture or observational identifiers that may seem trivial like 'I see two hairs on her leg' even though to the poster it seems anicdotal it can be all the difference in key species ID
Ants are life's most successful invaders. Understand and respect that power.

AntsDakota

Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:28 pm

JustCliff wrote:

Is there a website or book you can recommend that will aid in the general identification of ants? Are you familiar with the AC Book and is there a lot of species in it?

I guess I mean how to quickly tell the difference between carpenters, Formica, tetrimorium, etc. Is there common physical characteristics among each that makes them identifiable or is this only relevant when you've got a macro lense?

Every ant that I have identified, I read as much I can find about them and know I'll be able to identify them easily if I see them again. Is this the only way?
I'd like to at least be able to assume if an ant is tetramorium as opposed to lasius or camponatus for scenarious when their nest isn't around help determine their choice of substrate or knowing when a species is flying.
I appreciate any you can give and I also understand if you don't want to reply to this :lol:
According to Batspiderfish, Formica have a "saddle like notch" in the middle of their thorax. This means that the thorax is divided by a groove. Camponotus have a completely smooth thorax. From what I've seen, Tetramorium have large square heads, while Camponotus and Formica have normal round heads. Tetramorium are much smaller than Camponotus or Formica, only about half the size or less, and move rather slowly compared to Formica or Camponotus, which tend to be very quick and agile, especially if you agitate them.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

TheRealAntMan

Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:33 pm

AntsDakota wrote:
JustCliff wrote:

I appreciate any you can give and I also understand if you don't want to reply to this :lol:
According to Batspiderfish, Formica have a "saddle like notch" in the middle of their thorax. This means that the thorax is divided by a groove. Camponotus have a completely smooth thorax. From what I've seen, Tetramorium have large square heads, while Camponotus and Formica have normal round heads. Tetramorium are much smaller than Camponotus or Formica, only about half the size or less, and move rather slowly compared to Formica or Camponotus, which tend to be very quick and agile, especially if you agitate them.
I find Formica heads are more oval shaped, and Camponotus squared-like head filled with muscles.
An ants' strength can be rivaled by few animals compared to relative body size.

AntsDakota

Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:37 pm

TheRealAntMan wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:33 pm
AntsDakota wrote:
JustCliff wrote:

I find Formica heads are more oval shaped, and Camponotus squared-like head filled with muscles.
To me, Tetramorium heads look more square than Camponotus, yet Camponotus heads look more square than Formica.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

JustCliff

Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:19 pm

I appreciate you guys taking the time to post. I understand that the question is difficult but I didn't really mean it to be as such. Only wondering if there is a common trait that all ants in a genera share with each other, I didn't expect there to be but hearing this
AntsDakota wrote:
to Batspiderfish, Formica have a "saddle like notch" in the middle of their thorax. This means that the thorax is divided by a groove. Camponotus have a completely smooth thorax. From what I've seen, Tetramorium have large square heads, while Camponotus and Formica have normal round heads. Tetramorium are much smaller than Camponotus or Formica, only about half the size or less, and move rather slowly compared to Formica or Camponotus, which tend to be very quick and agile, especially if you agitate them.
Is exactly what I meant.

Currently I'm frequenting this bored to look at what ants are being identified though I don't always do a google search on them like I do with the ants I find unless they look particularly interesting. I'll have to start looking up more of them. Camponotus are really the only genera I even stand a chance at lol, this year I've pretty much only found camponotus queens. A single formica sp. that didn't survive the founding, though while in the test tube I did notice the "saddle like notch" but didn't know it was characteristic of formica.

I already figured the only way to really get good at identifying ants is to just learn about more of them, I was just hoping others have notice traits like the above to maybe make it a little easier without breaking out a macro lens to count antennae segments or hairs on the abdomen.

Going to look into some newer books too. I appreciate the time you guys took to write out those longer responses. :D
Keeper of:
Camponotus nearcticus
Brachymyrmex depilis

Founding:
Camponotus herculeanus