Need help to make sure I IDed this queen right.

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntsIkhlef

Re: Need help to make sure I IDed this queen right.

Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:05 am

Tarmok wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:00 am
I am very much a noob, when it comes to IDing queen, but I found this cutie today and think she is a Lasius niger queen and I was hoping someone can confirm this or if I an wrong tell me what would be the right classification.

She is between 1 and 1.5 cm, mostly black/very dark grey and I found her next to a tarmac road, with quite a few of her "sisters".

Lasius Niger Queens only grow to max 1 cm
Beginner here!
I am new to this and I have just founded my first colonies! :geek:

Keeper of:

2x Lasius niger
1x Lasius neglectus/i]

🐜❤️4ever

Batspiderfish

Re: Need help to make sure I IDed this queen right.

Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:54 pm

Please measure your queens! Imagining a number only makes the identification less accurate.

She does look like Lasius, and Lasius niger is flying right now, but Lasius cannot be identified to the species without being able to examine the hairs on the antennae and the teeth on the mandibles. You can place "cf." between the genus and species just to give it a name. "cf." means that an ant has the looks of this species, but that the identity is not confirmed.

e.g. Lasius cf. niger
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.