Help Identify queen Masssachuseetts, USA, Ant queen caught on 7/8/2018

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Romonster

Help Identify queen Masssachuseetts, USA, Ant queen caught on 7/8/2018

Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:28 pm

Hey I now have a second queen, she is approximately 10 mm in length, which is one of the most alarming features. Her gastor is is a blackish grey, and the rest of her is more of a red hue. she is very fast, has already laid one egg. Basically, I'm hoping someone can identify this queen, is she claustral or semi claustral, is the species a stinging one, and any other characteristics. I have one clear photo now in this drive folder https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1p-RkyTr-yC1f6XcGleoRI3ll_EE6-za-?usp=sharing I will be going away for a couple days, but when i get back i will take some more photos. I hope that someone can help in the meantime

Batspiderfish

Re: Help Identify queen Masssachuseetts, USA, Ant queen caught on 7/8/2018

Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:35 pm

All I can tell from the photo is that she is Formica sp. It's very dark and not at a particularly useful angle.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Romonster

Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:54 am

Alright thank you, i have posted even more photos, and when i came back from vacation and checked today, she tore up pieces of the toilet paper on the bottom and has made like a pathway. Anyway, I hope the new photos are more helpful, i also place a dead cut up earwig in her container, which i hope she will enjoy. Also, she seems to be moving around a lot more then my tetramorium queen, which has basically the same setup, should i decrease the space in her container/ move her to a smaller one? Thank for any much needed answers.
Here is a link to the drive with all the photos of her https://drive.google.com/open?id=1p-RkyTr-yC1f6XcGleoRI3ll_EE6-za-
Thank you.

Batspiderfish

Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:58 pm

Thank you! This is a Formica queen from the palludefulva group. She will not need any food until workers arrive, although a little bit of sugary liquid before sealing her in would be nice. She otherwise needs to be left alone as much as possible.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Romonster

Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:43 am

Awesome, thank you for letting me know and for your identification. I will do my best to provide her a good environment to lay her brood. Thank you.