First ant catch, ever!

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Sinprex
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:03 pm

First ant catch, ever!

Post: # 40644Post Sinprex
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:32 pm

Hello,

I have been a long time follower of AntsCanada and have always wanted to try my hand at raising a colony. Unfortunately I have not had a lot of time to find a queen. Today, on my bedroom floor I found this guy/gal. It looks to be a queen to me, but I am far from an expert. Could someone tell me what I found here? Thanks so much.

https://imgur.com/a/5OtLuKt

TheRealAntMan
Posts: 624
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:59 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: First ant catch, ever!

Post: # 40650Post TheRealAntMan
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:50 pm

Measurements and Location please.
An ants' strength can be rivaled by few animals compared to relative body size.

Sinprex
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:03 pm

Re: First ant catch, ever!

Post: # 40653Post Sinprex
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:34 pm

TheRealAntMan wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:50 pm
Measurements and Location please.
Phoenix, AZ. ~1.65 cm. in length.

AntKeeperNewb
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:21 pm
Location: MO

Re: First ant catch, ever!

Post: # 40945Post AntKeeperNewb
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:04 am

this kind of looks like a bee to me, im not a expert though :/

AntsIkhlef
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:39 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: First ant catch, ever!

Post: # 40953Post AntsIkhlef
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:35 am

AntKeeperNewb wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:04 am
this kind of looks like a bee to me, im not a expert though :/
No it’s a Queen ant!
Beginner here!
I am new to this and I have just founded my first colonies! :geek:

Keeper of:

2x Lasius niger
1x Lasius neglectus/i]

🐜❤️4ever

MorbidBugg
Posts: 285
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:11 pm
Location: Orangeville

Re: First ant catch, ever!

Post: # 40955Post MorbidBugg
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:45 am

I'm still growing my identification skills but yes that is a queen... question is one of her antenna damaged? One picture looks like it's gone.. maybe just the perfect angle..
Ants are life's most successful invaders. Understand and respect that power.

AntKeeperNewb
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:21 pm
Location: MO

Re: First ant catch, ever!

Post: # 40962Post AntKeeperNewb
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:23 am

MorbidBugg wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:45 am
I'm still growing my identification skills but yes that is a queen... question is one of her antenna damaged? One picture looks like it's gone.. maybe just the perfect angle..
only reason it looks like a bee to me is because of its big almond shaped eyes on that 1st pic, but like I said im no expert :/

MorbidBugg
Posts: 285
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:11 pm
Location: Orangeville

Re: First ant catch, ever!

Post: # 40968Post MorbidBugg
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:44 am

AntKeeperNewb wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:23 am
MorbidBugg wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:45 am
I'm still growing my identification skills but yes that is a queen... question is one of her antenna damaged? One picture looks like it's gone.. maybe just the perfect angle..
only reason it looks like a bee to me is because of its big almond shaped eyes on that 1st pic, but like I said im no expert :/
Haha yeah I actually went in with your ID at the forefront of my brain. And while that first pic does resemble a bee. I think the lack of other identifiers for a bee are missing in the other ones. I'm still learning myself, but to me the mandibles and the head structure in one of the later pictures pretty much made me more sure of myself that it's a queen. But like yourself I'm no expert. Still trying to learn and memorize the specs just in my one stretch of road can be daunting (it goes from a strip of old shops to an small strip of houses with yards back to pure cement buildings then huge open field next to a swamp..... so ya... my hands are full on trying to learn alot in a little... but like everything keep practicing and it'll make it perfect who knows someone like batspiderfish will probably come in and make us both look like beginners. 'Sorry youre both wrong it's clearly a fly' 😁😉
Ants are life's most successful invaders. Understand and respect that power.

AntsIkhlef
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:39 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: First ant catch, ever!

Post: # 40971Post AntsIkhlef
Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:01 am

MorbidBugg wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:44 am
AntKeeperNewb wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:23 am
MorbidBugg wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:45 am
I'm still growing my identification skills but yes that is a queen... question is one of her antenna damaged? One picture looks like it's gone.. maybe just the perfect angle..
only reason it looks like a bee to me is because of its big almond shaped eyes on that 1st pic, but like I said im no expert :/
Haha yeah I actually went in with your ID at the forefront of my brain. And while that first pic does resemble a bee. I think the lack of other identifiers for a bee are missing in the other ones. I'm still learning myself, but to me the mandibles and the head structure in one of the later pictures pretty much made me more sure of myself that it's a queen. But like yourself I'm no expert. Still trying to learn and memorize the specs just in my one stretch of road can be daunting (it goes from a strip of old shops to an small strip of houses with yards back to pure cement buildings then huge open field next to a swamp..... so ya... my hands are full on trying to learn alot in a little... but like everything keep practicing and it'll make it perfect who knows someone like batspiderfish will probably come in and make us both look like beginners. 'Sorry youre both wrong it's clearly a fly' 😁😉
:lol:

Isn’t that how it is supposed to go? :lol: :lol:
Beginner here!
I am new to this and I have just founded my first colonies! :geek:

Keeper of:

2x Lasius niger
1x Lasius neglectus/i]

🐜❤️4ever

TheRealAntMan
Posts: 624
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:59 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: First ant catch, ever!

Post: # 40976Post TheRealAntMan
Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:32 am

Looks like a Pogonomyrmex sp to me but I’ll need clearer pictures to really id.
An ants' strength can be rivaled by few animals compared to relative body size.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests