Identification needed, queen found in grenoble france the 1 july

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

oppay48

Identification needed, queen found in grenoble france the 1 july

Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:03 am

Hi,

I didn't plan to start a colony, but this girl kinda stick with me. I first find her... or more she find me since she hit me in the face, and kinda surprise me. After closer look i figure out she was a ant, and give her a litter sugar for her road. I didn't notice her much after that, but,when i was waiting for the bus, she climped in my lunch box. I find her in once at home, and know she was the same, cause she had a broken wing (probably from hitting me). I feel bad to had broke her wing, and didn't know if she will be a queen or not, so i keep her, give her a safe spot to rest and eat. I could at least give her a nice end life.... But she start to lay egg, so it's look like i will have pet ant. Now i kinda want to know how to take good care of her, and that start by knowing what kind of ant she is. So i could know what food she will need, and kind of nest and all before buying her the wrong thing.

I try my best to take the most clear picture i could, but that the best result i get so far, hope it will be good enough, other wise, i will ask a friend to see if he will be able to get better result then me. I think is a Lasius or maybe a brachymyrmex, or a prenolepis :/ i'm unsure.

I will try to get better picture, but is so hard with my phone to get clear picture of a so tiny ant--"". Well not soo tiny, she do around 6mm. Hope it will be enough to identify her.

Thanks for the help.

Batspiderfish

Re: Identification needed, queen found in grenoble france the 1 july

Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:19 pm

Lasius sp.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.