Camponotus Sp.

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Cheesefish77

Camponotus Sp.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:55 pm

Found this ant this morning, not fully sure if it is a queen or not, but I have my hopes up as I have never seen this species at my house before, so I find it unlikely that it is a major worker. I believe it is a species of Camponotus, it's thorax is a dark red color, while the rest of it is black. I found it in the desert of eastern Oregon in the U.S. in the early morning, around 8-9 a.m. She can easily climb a vertical glass wall and is quite fast. Anyone know what species this is and if it is a queen or not? (I looked for wing scars but some bits of cotton made it hard to tell, as well as the fact that she kept her legs held up against her body)
Keeper of:
T. immigrans

Founding:
P. occidentalis

Batspiderfish

Re: Camponotus Sp.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:36 pm

Measurements are important for ID requests! Definitely a queen, though.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Cheesefish77

Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:50 pm

I measured her at around 1-1½ cm long
Keeper of:
T. immigrans

Founding:
P. occidentalis

Batspiderfish

Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:06 pm

There are smaller Camponotus from the Myrmentoma subgenus that are normally 1cm long, but I am assuming that she is larger than that. The shininess, along with your description, would most likely make this Camponotus novaeboracensis, which are occasionally found that far west. That's quite a distance from its namesake, Nova Eboraca, New York.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Cheesefish77

Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:26 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:06 pm
There are smaller Camponotus from the Myrmentoma subgenus that are normally 1cm long, but I am assuming that she is larger than that. The shininess, along with your description, would most likely make this Camponotus novaeboracensis, which are occasionally found that far west. That's quite a distance from its namesake, Nova Eboraca, New York.
Thanks, that's super helpful info to have, now to research and hope she can found a colony :)
Keeper of:
T. immigrans

Founding:
P. occidentalis