Please id ants from Tampa Florida USA

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Chewylobster45

Please id ants from Tampa Florida USA

Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:24 am

Can someone ID the queens below from Tampa Florida USA? They are approx. 2-4 mm and the queens look the same. I caught them on June 20-30. Also, would i be able to put the queens in the same container? Thanks!

The link is below.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/159155355@N03/shares/84Z44M

antsofthelowcountry

Re: Please id ants from Tampa Florida USA

Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:08 pm

I'm not an expert but judging by around the time you caught the Queens, the location, the size, and the coloration I would say that those Queens are tetramorium immigrans (aka tetramorium sp.e). You can probably store them together for a very brief amount of time before putting them into isolated test tube setups. However even storing them for that brief of an amount of time does come with risk.
As always, wishing you well on your exciting ant adventure, Ants the Lowcountry.

antsofthelowcountry

Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:09 pm

You caught them a while ago so they should be isolated from one another.
As always, wishing you well on your exciting ant adventure, Ants the Lowcountry.

Batspiderfish

Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:11 pm

Brachymyrmex patagonicus
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Chewylobster45

Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:23 pm

Thanks both for yout help 8-) I did seperate them dont worry also could someone clarify wether its brachymermyx or tetramorium? Thanks a lot!

antsofthelowcountry

Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:40 pm

In my opinion, it is too hard for me to tell the difference between these two species with this photograph. The colors are not vibrant enough to tell the difference between the mouthparts which is the main factor in determining which of the two species this Queen is. Either way, it is definitely a queen and neither of the species are known for being directly harmful towards humans Meaning neither species can bite or sting. Whichever species this Queen turns out to be I hope you have an excellent experience starting your new ant colony.

Batspiderfish

Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:26 pm

The small size and apparent lack of two petiole nodes is what makes me think Brachymyrmex (which are in the Formicinae subfamily and have only one node.)
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

antsofthelowcountry

Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:30 pm

Could not find the size from the picture.