Camponotus Herculeanus Possibly?

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Zintarloc

Camponotus Herculeanus Possibly?

Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:05 am

Hey so I just caught two what I think to be camponotus herculeanus ants (Only camponotus species where I am) but they were found in Anchorage Alaska 6/27/18 when I was at work and spotted one running across the ground (I work at the garden center at Lowes) and the other one was sitting on some bricks I was moving. I caught both of course and brought em home of course. Camponotus Herculeanus is the only species of ant that I can think of in Alaska and these guys are about 15-16 MM long, and you can see they have a black Head, Thorax, and abdomen and redish brownish legs. Both of them are skittish and docile, I can pick em up and they don't bite. Oh, and when I put them in the test tubes one of them began to clean the tip of it's abdomen.

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Camponotus Herculeanus Possibly?

Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:10 am

Zintarloc wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:05 am
Hey so I just caught two what I think to be camponotus herculeanus ants (Only camponotus species where I am) but they were found in Anchorage Alaska 6/27/18 when I was at work and spotted one running across the ground (I work at the garden center at Lowes) and the other one was sitting on some bricks I was moving. I caught both of course and brought em home of course. Camponotus Herculeanus is the only species of ant that I can think of in Alaska and these guys are about 15-16 MM long, and you can see they have a black Head, Thorax, and abdomen and redish brownish legs. Both of them are skittish and docile, I can pick em up and they don't bite. Oh, and when I put them in the test tubes one of them began to clean the tip of it's abdomen.
The image didn’t load for me, but it sounds like they are mated, evident by the cleaning of the gaster! This is not 100% but is a good indi.cator
When you accidentally reply to yourself…