Campanotus Chromaides

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Antella

Campanotus Chromaides

Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:28 pm

So I think I have the species of queen properly ID as camponotus chromaiodes. And this is likely a very dumb question but maybe not. I'll let you decide.

I went searching for queens and opened up some bark on a log. There happened to be a colony of what looked like dark red carpenter ants. They were all very small though can were maybe a mm or so larger than tetramorium immigrans. Well I was observing for a little while seeing if I could find the queen. I went to the other side of the log, and pulled some bark, there was still part of the colony there but sort of on the side there was a large queen. The colony at this point started to pack up and move. The ants were paying very little to no attention to her. I made a judgement call and decided to grab the queen. I grabbed some brood and some workers just in case. Some of the workers were put in the same test tube as the queen. The queen seemed pretty disturbed and distant and the workers didnt seem to pay much attention to the queen.
I'm having some doubts here. Is it possible that the queen I have is not THE queen of this colony. The size difference is rather astounding, and the lack of interest in her seems suspect. I have them separated right now but maybe because I'm so new to this I'm making presumptions on how the workers would behave around her. I haven't seen them "attack" her or anything but they both seem to be averted to one another in some respects. If this is her colony I know she wont survive without them, but I also dont want to keep them housed only to find her dead later. Any insight?

Would this queen decide that she should "hang" near another colony. Seems like unwise location to start a colony so again I'm not sure what to think here. Hoping answer is obvious and that I just will be schooled here one way or another

Shes nearly identical to this one at about 15mm:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiBxt681d7bAhVMb30KHQLPD0kQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.AntsCanada.com%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D3661&psig=AOvVaw0oHayY2UoIWZrOB606G7H9&ust=1529461292123484

The workers are very small maybe 4mm or so nearly the size of a tetra worker and are more red than brown.