Help ID Queen.

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

ryan0244

Help ID Queen.

Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:23 pm

Definitely camponotus but is she a queen? She is huge, and Im not having any luck finding a queen. Her body seems a little too skinny maybe a really big super major? Prec the help.
she is about 5mm long.

https://imgur.com/a/aVfptXG

Batspiderfish

Re: Help ID Queen.

Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:54 pm

Camponotus major worker.

I know Mikey calls them "super majors" a lot, but that's definitely misused and erases the ordinary "major" caste. Very few ants have workers that are larger than majors (e.g. Carebara and Atta).
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

ryan0244

Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:02 pm

Ohhhh for some dumb reason I thought the workers were also majors. Derp.Yes that makes sense. Are there any species in Georgia that have supermajors? Either way this major is beautiful! And very large from the other majors and workers ive seen thus far. Cant wait to find my first queen!

Batspiderfish

Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:19 pm

No supermajors, so far as I know, but the diverse forms of ants which only have minor, median, and/or major castes can be just as pleasing to observe. Camponotus, Colobopsis, and Solenopsis invicta are polymorphic, with minor, median, and major castes. Pheidole and Pogonomyrmex badius are dimorphic, with minors and majors.

I would keep an eye out for P. badius, the Florida harvester ant. They are unique among Pogonomyrmex for having a major caste -- I think they look quite interesting.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

ryan0244

Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:45 pm

Is P. badius in the mountain region too? From what I skimmed quickly it sounds like it lives closer to the beach? Sorry for my ignorance. Also plan to go digging through old wood to find a camponotus queen to start. Im very patient, and slow growth gives me more time to observe and prepare the early stage. You sir are seriously fire. Idk how your on all the time and how you answer all of these so quickly but hats off to you!