Tetramorium sp e?

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Catastrophe68

Tetramorium sp e?

Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:45 pm

So i have 3 sets of pictures that all look slightly different but im assuming they are all tetramorium sp e but need help identifying them just to make sure and if someone can pin point a genus that would be great here's my first set of pictures http://imgur.com/gallery/QFvKLGB i have 8 of these queens that all look exactly the same. They are 4mm long and all have their first broad. Now the next set of pictures look exactly like the first ones except she is quite longer and has a fatter gaster then the others http://imgur.com/gallery/zHxjJND . she is 5.5 mm long and hasnt had her first broad yet and i caught them all on the same day june 2. in fact she barely started rippling her wings off yesterday. Is this a different species of tetramorium or just genetically lucky? Now the next set of pictures are the same size as the first tetramorium pictures 4mm but she is like a darker red color and i have 2 of these queens still with no broad http://imgur.com/gallery/KjP3Rek . the pictures are kinda blurry but i tried my best to get the clearest shot. Let me know if she is tetramorium or not and if you know the genus of her. Thank yall for your help !

Batspiderfish

Re: Tetramorium sp e?

Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:06 pm

Queen one and three are Pheidole sp.

Queen two is most likely Solenopsis invicta.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Catastrophe68

Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:07 pm

Okay sorry i completely measured wrong queen 1 and 3 are 4/16th of an inch or 6.3 mm long. And the second queen which i thought was 5.5 mm is actually 8.73 mm long would that still be the same bat?

Catastrophe68

Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:46 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:

I dont think the second one is solenopsis because we dont have any here locally. Fire ants create huge mounds with many many entrances. Theres nothing like that hear. I found them all in my driveway in a very populated neighborhood. The first queen was found maybe 10 feet or so from her original nest which was created in a crack in the sidewalk. The 3rd queen was similar her original nest was in a crack in the sidewalk. The works have like orange yellowish gasters. If that helps.

Batspiderfish

Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:53 pm

Catastrophe68 wrote:
Batspiderfish wrote:

I dont think the second one is solenopsis because we dont have any here locally. Fire ants create huge mounds with many many entrances. Theres nothing like that hear. I found them all in my driveway in a very populated neighborhood. The first queen was found maybe 10 feet or so from her original nest which was created in a crack in the sidewalk. The 3rd queen was similar her original nest was in a crack in the sidewalk. The works have like orange yellowish gasters. If that helps.
Ants can disperse pretty far. I stand by the ID.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Catastrophe68

Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:07 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:53 pm
Catastrophe68 wrote:
Batspiderfish wrote:

Ants can disperse pretty far. I stand by the ID.
Even with the corrected measurements? Maybe i can take better pictures ? And like i said im dont think the second queen is a fire ant because we dont have them here where i live. Maybe on the outskirts or somthing but im basically in the middle of the city like 7 miles away from the edge. Im not saying your wrong but is there any ants that look similar to them that they could possible be ?

PTasker15

Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:42 pm

1-Pheidole Magecephala
2-Solenopsis Sp
3-??
Keeping ants for 6 years now.

Current Species: Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Camponotus decipiens,Camponotus snellingi Solenopsis invicta,Nylanderia sp,Brachmyrmex patagonicus,Pheidole obscurothorax,Pheidole moerens,Pachycondyla harpax

Catastrophe68

Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:32 pm

Thank you guys so much for your help and replies! With further research from your references i am happy to confirm that species 1 is a pheidole big headed ant and queen 2 is indeed solenopsis sp. Sorry batspiderfish for doubting you at first. I just figured they were all red lol. No i can probably take better pictures of the 3rd queen so you can help confirm her species . i have another queen that looks exactly like her but barely minutely bigger that i can take pictures of . she could possible be a pheidole sp also but she is just more red than the 1st queen. I will look more into it.

Catastrophe68

Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:39 pm

PTasker15 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:42 pm
1-Pheidole Magecephala
2-Solenopsis Sp
3-??
Could you possible check out my post titled camponotus? To see what you think? I would love your opinion on that as well. Thank you for your help!