Tiny ant ID needed

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Hocept

Tiny ant ID needed

Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:06 pm

She was found today in my pool, Dallas area, I say "she" lightly as it could very well be a tiny male. However, I am not sure what the species is and either way I would love to know!
The ant in question is 2-3mm in size, and nearly impossible to get a decent photo of RIP
Appears to be red and black.

Here are some of the "better" photos I got of her. If needed, I will try again and take some more, just let me know <3

Batspiderfish

Re: Tiny ant ID needed

Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:31 pm

Can't even tell if it is a queen or male. Try putting a white sheet of paper underneath for a better view of its body shape. Good lighting also makes a big difference.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Hocept

Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:38 pm

Here are some that might be better? :"D It is soo small lol

Batspiderfish

Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:42 pm

Thank you! Good work. Looks like a little Nylanderia male.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Hocept

Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:44 pm

No problem and thank you as well!
How long will those be having their nuptial flights? And are the queens much larger than him?

Batspiderfish

Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:15 pm

They'll be wrapping up at around July, with most of the flights occurring in May and June. The queens are a little smaller than Lasius, at around 5-7mm.