Queen Identification Needed

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

AWilliams

Queen Identification Needed

Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:42 pm

I need help identifying two different species that were both caught in Acworth, Georgia. Photos will follow each description.

The first species I caught on 6/2/18 at a local park and near my house, catching nine in total. They're roughly 8 mm long. I was thinking perhaps Solenopsis invicta based on pictures I've seen, but I could use some help in confirming that. Also, I actually saw two of these queens digging their founding chambers in the dirt within 2-3 inches of each other and was wondering if this is something common.

The second species was found on 6/4/18 just under the bark layer of a decaying log behind my house. She already had some brood that I collected with her. She is roughly 15 mm long.

Thanks in advance for whatever help can be given in identifying these girls.

AWilliams

Re: Queen Identification Needed

Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:48 pm

Any thoughts?

Perkdawg

Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:13 am

First queen is certainly Solonopsis invicta, second is Camponotus sp. most likely Camponotus pennsylvanicus. As for the queens found near one another, Solonopsis queens sometimes found their colonies together, although I think it was most likely a coincidence that they were nesting so close to one another. Usually when more than one queen start a colony together the weaker queen is killed once the first workers arrive, although some polygyny has been recorded in the species.

PTasker15

Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:30 am

Perkdawg wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:13 am
First queen is certainly Solonopsis invicta, second is Camponotus sp. most likely Camponotus pennsylvanicus. As for the queens found near one another, Solonopsis queens sometimes found their colonies together, although I think it was most likely a coincidence that they were nesting so close to one another. Usually when more than one queen start a colony together the weaker queen is killed once the first workers arrive, although some polygyny has been recorded in the species.
I Think The Second Is Camponotus Modoc.Her Legs Have That Key Coloration!
Keeping ants for 6 years now.

Current Species: Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Camponotus decipiens,Camponotus snellingi Solenopsis invicta,Nylanderia sp,Brachmyrmex patagonicus,Pheidole obscurothorax,Pheidole moerens,Pachycondyla harpax

AWilliams

Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:33 am

Thanks for the responses. I do think the second queen looks maybe a bit more like Camponotus modoc, but has anyone else found one in the Southeastern US?

Perkdawg

Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:31 pm

Sorry for the very late reply, but I really don't think it's Camponotus modoc. Modoc's range extends east to only about Minnesota. I'm quite confident it's Camponotus Pennsylvanicus or maybe Camponotus nearcticus but I doubt it's the latter. The leg coloration is a bit odd though, maybe someone else has an idea.