A queen found in Finland, Satakunta, 31.5.-18, Formica?

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

WyrdAnt

A queen found in Finland, Satakunta, 31.5.-18, Formica?

Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:56 pm

I found this ant in a forest while I was camping with my class. She's now in this thing which I believe is a Petri dish in English. That's just temporary, I have not received my test tubes yet.

She's the first queen I've ever catched and I'd like to know what species she might be. She's around 15mm long, coloured black and reddish brown. I'm a bit worried because she hasn't laid any eggs. She also keeps moving around the container like she's searching for something.

I did some searching around the internet and I think se might be part of tje genus Formica? And some species of that genus rob some workers from already existing colonies or live as kind if "pests" in one. So should I go and search for some workers for her? Or is this too big of a challenge for a first timer? If you know something about how to take care of this kind of I'd appreciate help.

Here are some pictures in a Drive folder:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1FyK9pC2-rxbudZb23plQG-X96ZeTmdsI

I tried to get good ones but my camera is not really good, she was very quick and I couldn't open the lid of the container. If the pics don't work, please tell me!

If you need some more information to help with the identification, I'll answer gladly!

Batspiderfish

Re: A queen found in Finland, Satakunta, 31.5.-18, Formica?

Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:06 pm

Camponotus sp.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.