Queen and Male(probably) Ant IDs Needed

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Hocept

Queen and Male(probably) Ant IDs Needed

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:27 pm

Caught several queens in my pool today lol, hopefully they are alright. All found around the dallas area.

Both of these girls are 9-10mm, were caught today(6/5/18), and broke their wings off in the test tube. Found in my pool.

Pool Queen One:

Pool Queen Two:

------

This queen was found yesterday(6/4/18) and still has her wings. She was found at my local park. She is about 9mm in length.

Park Queen:

I think the two pool queens are the same species, solenopsis? The park queen I am not sure of, she does look similar to the other two but also seems to have some differences in body shape?

----

And finally, I have what I believe is a male, though I could be completely wrong so I am curious if anyone can confirm this and identify his species? He is 7mm, caught today(6/5/18)

Batspiderfish

Re: Queen and Male(probably) Ant IDs Needed

Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:11 am

The second queen is Pheidole sp. and all the rest are Solenopsis invicta, the last one being a male.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Hocept

Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:04 am

Thanks! And oh gosh, apparently I have 12 fire ant queens then lol, will probably sell or release most of them I suppose. Are they terribly fast growing? And question about Brachymyrmex queens, do they nest with multiple queens?

Batspiderfish

Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:23 am

Brachymyrmex are polygynous most of the time, yes, but you would have to be sure they are the same species.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Hocept

Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:38 pm

Awesome! And I also just found this little one, only about 5-6mm and all black. I cant tell if it is a male or a female, and I don't have a clue as to its species, any help here? Again found in the Dallas area, in my pool.

https://sta.sh/27vr09wubne?edit=1

Batspiderfish

Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:28 pm

Monomorium sp. queen.