Ant Colony Idenfication (workers, queen, other info)

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

katykat5099

Ant Colony Idenfication (workers, queen, other info)

Sun May 13, 2018 10:49 am

So I found a colony I think is super unique and I have no idea what species they are and really want to know.

The workers are Black and there are some bigger ants that are very agressive within the colony that are completely red except the gaster is black. They hurt when they bite. The workers do not hurt and not all of them bite.
The red and black ants that are big, some are larger or close to the same size as a worker and some are much bigger but look exactly the same.

They all got really long legs. The largest red and black ant is the width of my pinky (I have very skinny fingers)

There is multiple queens. I think I found 3 but lost one. So I have two. They are also red and black like the other ones. But are kind of small for a queen.

They lived under a rock in my garden I was trying to clean up. Their home is kind of tilled now..

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qmmx7c0cezosz2t/AACL8b4aXrO0OkhksPkgDI87a?dl=0

AntsGreece

Re: Ant Colony Idenfication (workers, queen, other info)

Thu May 17, 2018 1:33 am

link not working.. :)

antnest8

Thu May 17, 2018 5:21 am

it is hard to tell but it kind of looks like Formica better pictures can help though.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

Batspiderfish

Thu May 17, 2018 1:54 pm

Yup! A Formica social parasite. To further narrow down the ID, we need a clear view of the front of the head right above the mandibles. The sanguinea group of brood-raiding Formica will have a notch on its clypeus, but sadly these species are often unsuitable for captivity since many of them are dependent on a constant supply of host pupae. The raiders themselves don't do much at all inside the nest, and it's more akin to having a queenless fusca/pallidefulva/neogagates-group colony.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

katykat5099

Tue May 22, 2018 9:06 am

Thanks a lot for the info. Yeah I believe that is a raiding species. I have tons of these in my area and there always seems to be black ants with them. There are also much smaller ants that look similar but no red ants that were directly next to them. They were small, probably half the size of a piece of rice. And they had red body and everywhere else what black just like these black and red ants I talked about. Only difference is the black is more of a really dark looking brown.

Also those “raider” ants (I guess ill call them) laid eggs.