New queens! Possible camponotus species?

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Bugboy3092

New queens! Possible camponotus species?

Tue May 01, 2018 9:26 pm

Alright, so this I believe should by my second post here? Idk, but anyways, as any Georgia antkeeper probably (hopefully) knows, yesterday was the big day for camponotus nuptial flights! I was lucky enough to catch some Noveaborescens (I’m almost certain that’s not how you spell it, but I don’t know how to) queens, as well as some pennsylvanicus queens, and finally, a queen of a certain species that I don’t know the name of. I’ve encountered them a couple of times in logs, but I’ve only ever seen one queen before (I didn’t have an aspirator to catch the colony). I really would like to know what it is, they seem much more elusive/rare than the other species in my area (my area isn’t great for beetles, but it’s a formiculturists dream). My best guess is that they’re some sort of carpenter ant species, but I can’t find them online or in my ID guides (I very seriously doubt its a new species or anything like that). They look like the larger, more common pennsylvanicus, except that they’re smaller, and striped brown and yellow rather than black. They seem to display massive polymorphism between major and minor workers, with majors having gigantic heads and massive cutting mandibles, and tiny minors not really capable of doing much damage. They don’t seem to be able to sting, but do have a pretty good formic acid spray (camponotus?). Hopefully someone can help, as even though it probably won’t affect my keeping of them, it would satisfy me greatly to know. Thanks in advance!

BleedingRaindrops

Re: New queens! Possible camponotus species?

Wed May 02, 2018 10:46 am

You'll need to post photos for a positive ID
Here's a guide on taking photos
http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?p=21844#p21844
Try to get a top, side and front profile shot of the ants, in as much focus as you can.
Here's a guide for posting the images.
https://youtu.be/c1Mu4Rw3s8w
Be sure to include length in mm and location and date of capture as well.
Ants kept
Nylanderia sp.
Camponotus sp.
Paratrechina Longicornis
Pheidole sp.