Need Help Identifying my ant!!!

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

AngeredFlame850
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:31 pm
Location: New Jersey

Need Help Identifying my ant!!!

Post: # 34029Post AngeredFlame850
Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:47 am

Hi I need some help identifying my queen ant who I caught last September (2017) in Virginia, USA. I tried to hibernate my queen but she refused to hibernate for reasons that I do not know. I currently am keeping my queen ant in a warm room and she has begun laying eggs again. She seems to be semi claustral but refuses to eat any insects and only eats fruits (apples, oranges, etc.). I am currently researching her and need some additional help. So far I am assuming that she is a Tapinoma sessile queen ant. Please feel free to email at scorpionkim2004@gmail.com! AntLove4Ever
Formica Sp. E queen - 0 workers, batch of eggs
On the look for more queens...

User avatar
idahoantgirl
Posts: 1472
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:52 am
Location: Idaho, USA

Re: Need Help Identifying my ant!!!

Post: # 34030Post idahoantgirl
Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:21 am

AngeredFlame850 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:47 am
Hi I need some help identifying my queen ant who I caught last September (2017) in Virginia, USA. I tried to hibernate my queen but she refused to hibernate for reasons that I do not know. I currently am keeping my queen ant in a warm room and she has begun laying eggs again. She seems to be semi claustral but refuses to eat any insects and only eats fruits (apples, oranges, etc.). I am currently researching her and need some additional help. So far I am assuming that she is a Tapinoma sessile queen ant. Please feel free to email at scorpionkim2004@gmail.com! AntLove4Ever
Photos? no one can identify without pics, and no one is going to want to email you.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

AngeredFlame850
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:31 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Need Help Identifying my ant!!!

Post: # 34040Post AngeredFlame850
Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:34 pm

I was only able upload a youtube video due to the fact that my pc refused to accept images from my phone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1VUFJ05TCo
Formica Sp. E queen - 0 workers, batch of eggs
On the look for more queens...

AntNoob1
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:56 pm
Location: NC

Re: Need Help Identifying my ant!!!

Post: # 34046Post AntNoob1
Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:36 pm

I cant tell what type it is because I can not see any distinguishing features like petiole nodes can you post some pictures when her wings fall off.

AngeredFlame850
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:31 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Need Help Identifying my ant!!!

Post: # 34048Post AngeredFlame850
Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:04 pm

AntNoob1 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:36 pm
I cant tell what type it is because I can not see any distinguishing features like petiole nodes can you post some pictures when her wings fall off.
Her wings have been on for 4 months now... I'll try to get a clearer shot of her
Formica Sp. E queen - 0 workers, batch of eggs
On the look for more queens...

AngeredFlame850
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:31 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Need Help Identifying my ant!!!

Post: # 34049Post AngeredFlame850
Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:21 pm

Here is a better video :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMtqF8KoTh0
Formica Sp. E queen - 0 workers, batch of eggs
On the look for more queens...

AngeredFlame850
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:31 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Need Help Identifying my ant!!!

Post: # 34089Post AngeredFlame850
Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:19 pm

AngeredFlame850 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:04 pm
AntNoob1 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:36 pm
I cant tell what type it is because I can not see any distinguishing features like petiole nodes can you post some pictures when her wings fall off.
Her wings have been on for 4 months now... I'll try to get a clearer shot of her
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMtqF8KoTh0
Formica Sp. E queen - 0 workers, batch of eggs
On the look for more queens...

AntNoob1
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:56 pm
Location: NC

Re: Need Help Identifying my ant!!!

Post: # 34126Post AntNoob1
Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:32 pm

It looks like a odorous house ant, or tapinoma sessile, except for the abdomen which I can not see clearly because of the wings. But that does not explain the eating habits because these ants are omnivores eating insects and plant fluids.

AntNoob1
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:56 pm
Location: NC

Re: Need Help Identifying my ant!!!

Post: # 34127Post AntNoob1
Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:33 pm

BTW, the new video is so much higher quality, it helps a lot in trying to identify the ant!

AntNoob1
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:56 pm
Location: NC

Re: Need Help Identifying my ant!!!

Post: # 34128Post AntNoob1
Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:35 pm

just took another look at the pictures, is that fungus on her back!? :o

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: StigmaticSpark4 and 1 guest