Worker ID Columbia SC

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

arroavantho

Worker ID Columbia SC

Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:15 pm

Went for a walk today down by the river, they have a concrete walkway that goes through the woods. I did see some Solenopsis and Camponotus ants along the trail, but I saw tons and tons of this kind of black ant that I want identified. I'm not sure what it is... I figured Tetramorium at first but now I'm not so sure. I'd like to find out because they were so ubiquitous along the whole length of the trail, and I'd like to be able to differentiate this from other similarly-sized species.

If it helps, the trail itself is located between a large river and a wastewater treatment plant.

My pictures are of the worker in a dirty, cheap plastic test tube that I bought from Hobby Lobby, so they're not that great. I have the worker in the freezer right now so that I can get some better images if needed.

https://imgur.com/a/QEoXl

Batspiderfish

Re: Worker ID Columbia SC

Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:07 pm

Better pictures would be helpful, since these are pretty blurry. I'm guessing either Camponotus or Brachyponera.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

PTasker15

Re: Worker ID Columbia SC

Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:01 pm

I Think ******.Notice It Stubbed Head?
Keeping ants for 6 years now.

Current Species: Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Camponotus decipiens,Camponotus snellingi Solenopsis invicta,Nylanderia sp,Brachmyrmex patagonicus,Pheidole obscurothorax,Pheidole moerens,Pachycondyla harpax