Ant Identifications please help

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

TunaNoCrust
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:10 pm
Location: East Coast United States

Ant Identifications please help

Post: # 31580Post TunaNoCrust
Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:28 pm

Hey guys I'm relatively new to ant keeping. I have recently caught two Queen ants that I can't identify. They are both relatively 6-7mm in length and I'm in the east coast of the United states.


https://www.flickr.com/photos/159466295@N05/albums/72157689292717005

That is the link to the pictures of the ants any help will be greatly appreciated :)

User avatar
Batspiderfish
Posts: 3345
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:47 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Ant Identifications please help

Post: # 31597Post Batspiderfish
Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:19 pm

Crematogaster sp.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

TunaNoCrust
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:10 pm
Location: East Coast United States

Re: Ant Identifications please help

Post: # 31598Post TunaNoCrust
Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:25 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:19 pm
Crematogaster sp.
Both of them?

User avatar
Batspiderfish
Posts: 3345
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:47 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Ant Identifications please help

Post: # 31601Post Batspiderfish
Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:55 pm

No way for me to tell which ant I'm looking at.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

TunaNoCrust
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:10 pm
Location: East Coast United States

Re: Ant Identifications please help

Post: # 31603Post TunaNoCrust
Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:22 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:55 pm
No way for me to tell which ant I'm looking at.
The one that looks like a top down view is Queen one the one that is from the bottom is is queen 2

YSTheAnt
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:53 am
Location: Bay Area

Re: Ant Identifications please help

Post: # 31606Post YSTheAnt
Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:34 pm

TunaNoCrust wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:28 pm
Hey guys I'm relatively new to ant keeping. I have recently caught two Queen ants that I can't identify. They are both relatively 6-7mm in length and I'm in the east coast of the United states.


https://www.flickr.com/photos/159466295@N05/albums/72157689292717005

That is the link to the pictures of the ants any help will be greatly appreciated :)
To me, both look like Crematogaster Sp. They are the only species that size and shape flying at the time.
Check out my blog: bayareaants.blogspot.com
Keeper of:
Camponotus Modoc(6 workers)
Pheidole Spp (2 queens, about 10 workers)
Possibly parasitic Formica (further ID required)
Novomessor Cockerelli (10+ workers)

TunaNoCrust
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:10 pm
Location: East Coast United States

Re: Ant Identifications please help

Post: # 31607Post TunaNoCrust
Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:36 pm

YSTheAnt wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:34 pm
TunaNoCrust wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:28 pm
Hey guys I'm relatively new to ant keeping. I have recently caught two Queen ants that I can't identify. They are both relatively 6-7mm in length and I'm in the east coast of the United states.


https://www.flickr.com/photos/159466295@N05/albums/72157689292717005

That is the link to the pictures of the ants any help will be greatly appreciated :)
To me, both look like Crematogaster Sp. They are the only species that size and shape flying at the time.

Alright thank you 😁

PTasker15
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:41 am
Location: Crosby,TX

Re: Ant Identifications please help

Post: # 32159Post PTasker15
Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:37 pm

Crematogaster Ashmeadi.Don't Worry-They're Only The Hardest Species To Keep And Take 3 Month's From Egg To Worker...Good Luck! :D :D :D :D :D :D ;)
My current ants
Pogonomyrmex Barbatus
Psudomyrmex Graccilis
Temnothroax Longiveps
Tetramourium Bicarinatum
Pheidole Moerens
Pheidole Obscuriothorax
Brachymyrmex Patgonicus
Camponotus Decipens,And Castanus.

antsRlife
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:27 am
Location: melbourn, victoria
Contact:

Re: Ant Identifications please help

Post: # 32924Post antsRlife
Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:13 am

lol
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoK1vrz8AF48t3iJMmgvh2Q

Early Stage Nests:
x1 Aphenogaster Longiceps

AntNoob1
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:56 pm
Location: NC

Re: Ant Identifications please help

Post: # 34134Post AntNoob1
Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:41 pm

your pictures deffiitly look like an acrobat ant, this YouTube video has a picture just like the last two pictures on for the first 8 seconds.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests