How to properly post in the ID section.

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntLove5Ever

How to properly post in the ID section.

Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:31 pm

So, anyone that frequents the ID center knows the struggle. You are copying and pasting so much, and no matter how many times you tell people how to do it, it is a rarity to see anything embedded. I always see something like this.

ID my ant: imgur.com/legitantpictures

THEY ALREADY UPLOADED IT TO A HOSTING SITE, why not just embed it. its as simple as right click on the pic on imgur, select copy image address, and then in your forum post, hit the picture frame between the water drop, and the asterisk, then just ctrl+v. Im gonna just take an example, Click the icon it should look like this
[img[/img]

(note that I edited it so it would display just the text, there would be a ] between the g and the [ your cursor will be in between the two sets of brackets.) then just paste so it looks like

[imghttp://i.imgur.com/UlTC9bC.jpg[/img]

(I removed the ] again so it would just show the text. If you arent sure if it will show up, click preview, before submitting, if it doesnt show up there, it will not appear in your final post. If done correctly it will look like this.)

If you do not embed your image, I am simply not going to ID your ant, because it is so simple, there is no reason you should not be able to embed your hecking pictures. Thank you.

Altogether your post should look like this

I found this ant on mm/dd/yyyy. I found it in [insert location here] crawling on a [idk sidewalk or something] The ant is x millimeters from head to gaster, thanks for your ID!

PS. Please remember to give measurements and the location and date of finding your ant. Sometimes people forget that.

invjang

Re: How to properly post in the ID section.

Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:24 pm

Why do you say it is simple?
Most of web techniques even allow to drag & drop image posting nowadays.
Why do you need to upload images else where and refer to it here?
Is there particular reasons to block direct uploading?
If this is security reason, how the other forums maintain that?
I don't understand...
A keeper of
Camponotus pennsylvanicus
Formica sp.

AntLove5Ever

Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:15 pm

invjang wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:24 pm
Why do you say it is simple?
Most of web techniques even allow to drag & drop image posting nowadays.
Why do you need to upload images else where and refer to it here?
Is there particular reasons to block direct uploading?
If this is security reason, how the other forums maintain that?
I don't understand...
It is simple, this is not a hassle, if you have time to copy the imgur link, you have time to click your mouse a total of like 4 times. I believe it is because hosting the images would take a lot of computing power, for a forum of this size. It probably is not due to security, but because AC is a small company, not necessarily capable of hosting so many images.

invjang

Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:37 am

OK, I got your point. Thank you for taking time to explain me the issue.
If this is not a security issue, but rather storage cost issue, then I am even more not convinced.
The price of storage is most inexpensive in any hosting service nowadays.
Anyway, this is my opinion. The reality AC encounters may be a lot different than what I am thinking.
A keeper of
Camponotus pennsylvanicus
Formica sp.

Nj6000

Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:57 am

I use my phone so it is easier to use links . I can't use computer because computer is to slow .