Charlotte, NC

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

KHaAnts

Charlotte, NC

Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:29 am

Hello fellow antkeepers! There was a huge rainstorm yesterday and I decided to look for some ants and MAN! I found so many alates! Male.. ones, that were dead and being harvested as food from already established ant colonies :cry: lol but, with male alates, comes female alates. Surprisingly, I found these 3 queens and wanted to identify them (I also caught 2 more but I know they are Solenopsis Invicta). Any help would be amazing and if better pictures need to be taken, please let me know!

This first one here is a bit questionable. It didn't shed it's wings and got weak quickly after being seen/caught, even though I took care of it as much as I could. I believe it is a male alate but would still like to know species so I know what to look for in the future :) It's a big one, about 13mm long
http://imgur.com/a/XQFDO

This second one here looked like a Solenopsis Invicta but was more brown than reddish/black, so I thought she might be a different species. I caught her with wings on and she INSTANTLY started pulling her wings off. It was an amazing experience and I wish I would have recorded it so I could show you guys. She's about 6mm, smaller than my S. Invictus queens
http://imgur.com/a/gGj5z

The last one was probably the weirdest catch ever! I caught her with a male on her gaster still fertilizing her! They were so small that I didn't notice him until I captured her, so I let them go until he finished and re-caught her. She's ~3-4mm, and I found her while pumping my car with gas haha

http://imgur.com/a/2NyLo

And as mentioned above, any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much guys :)

Batspiderfish

Re: Charlotte, NC

Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:48 am

The first queen is a Lasius social parasite queen, probably Lasius murphyi.

Queen two is Pheidole sp.

Queen three is Nylanderia sp.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

KHaAnts

Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:21 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:48 am
The first queen is a Lasius social parasite queen, probably Lasius murphyi.

Queen two is Pheidole sp.

Queen three is Nylanderia sp.
Wow! Thank you so much batspiderfish!

Batspiderfish

Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:52 pm

If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

KHaAnts

Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:27 pm

I actually did a little research on it when I saw your message. I dont yet have a colony of my own so I can't try to start a parasitic one, but it would have been an amazing experience. I released the ant back into my yard shortly after finding this out. Thank you for all of your help :D I really appreciate the work you put into helping all of us on the forum. You're the best :)