Queen Ant Identification

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Sortudo

Queen Ant Identification

Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:13 pm

Please guys, I have been having much trouble at taking care of my queen ant. I don't know the species and I'd like to ask a favor, could you help me identifying her? Another thing I want to ask is if you guys have any recomandation to give to me. I'm very worried because it has been a while that she have been inside the test tube and still haven't putted any egg! I'm in Brazil and caught her from a grown colony with other 2 queens for like almost a week ago, I'd say at 07/25.

There are some images of her: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4MhpBFaWn7eeFN2bkEyc0haMTA
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4MhpBFaWn7eZ3R5NVo0Rk5OTDg
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4MhpBFaWn7eUG96RnJtZUhLUmM

PS: she is very tiny, guessing that her length is about 1 cm, besides, her width is no more than 3 mm.

Batspiderfish

Re: Queen Ant Identification

Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:12 pm

Looks like Pheidole sp. Give her some time; one week is not very long.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Sortudo

Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:43 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
Ok, thanks! I'll try to leave her alone for a while. I was worried because a friend told me that his queen had died during the test tube. Since mine was captured inside a grown nest, I don't know if the procedures would be the same as if she had been caught during nuptial flights. What do you think? It'll be needed to feed her until some workers start to appear?

Batspiderfish

Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:24 am

Sortudo wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:43 am
Batspiderfish wrote:
Ok, thanks! I'll try to leave her alone for a while. I was worried because a friend told me that his queen had died during the test tube. Since mine was captured inside a grown nest, I don't know if the procedures would be the same as if she had been caught during nuptial flights. What do you think? It'll be needed to feed her until some workers start to appear?
Oh, sorry. I missed that detail. I thought she was caught with only a couple other queens in the nest. She will definitely need her workers if she is going to survive. Mature nests are not a good source for pet ants.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.