Queen Ant Identification

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

TJScho

Re: Queen Ant Identification

Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:45 pm

A queen ant flew into my paint at work!

I caught it and took it home, here is a link at the bottom to the best photos I could take with my phone. Behavior she spends her time cleaning off the paint shes gotten a lot of it off surprisingly. White acrylic paint. She's 7mm long, has her wings attached, dark redish-brown thorax and a almost black head and abdomen. I don't know what to do to help her, and i've never had an ant before I've just watched several dozen YouTube videos of AntsCanada.

Caught at:
Victoria BC, Canada. Oak bay to be exact today September 3rd at 6:30pm

Please help!

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=181BPnPTjYThKNicvX0GbG6UOVecB1BaY

TJScho

Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:49 am

Update:
She can climb glass and the card I had on the top with ease. She also managed to clean all the paint off her body except a dot on top of her head and a bit on the end of her wings. Today I switched the card on top of the glass with a folded piece of tissue and a roll of tape on top to hopefully allow air in the glass. I gave her a wet q-tip in the glass for water. I put her in a drawer in my desk so its dark. I have no idea what I am doing haha

Any Ant lovers in Victoria BC Canada?

TJScho

Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:53 pm

Update:
Managed to take clearer photos of her today, I added them to the google drive from my first post above. Shes stopped running around and was still, hanging upside down from the wet q-tip I gave her. I added a second wet q-tip since I'm not sure how fast it avaperatesor how much she needs. Hopefully these pictures help with identifying her. Thanks for your time :)

-TJ

Theis123456789

Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:04 am

The best thing you can do is (I don't know if you've already done this) putting her in a test tube with cotton wool or something like that. Make sure that at least a quarter of the test tube has water in it. That's the best thing to do.

Btw i don't know the species

TJScho

Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:42 pm

Thanks for your input, I have since gotten the AC test tubes and watched plenty of videos so she is still alive and in the test tube set up, I peek one every couple days or so and she seems to be going back and forth from the water side to the dry cotton at the end of the tube. Self-regulation moisture, drinking, or trying to escape i'm not sure. Big question is what her Genus is so I can better know how to care for her

AntsSudan

Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:00 am

Hi would like to know if you can identify what kind of queen ant i have,she is currently taking care of a batch of egs she laid while she was in a testube.

antnest8

Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:21 am

AntsSudan wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:00 am
Hi would like to know if you can identify what kind of queen ant i have,she is currently taking care of a batch of egs she laid while she was in a testube.
I have a post with some information that can help. The best way to get someone to help is to make a thread, and give pictures, color description. Date caught, environment caught in (pavement, in a log, ECT.), general location (country or state should work), and length
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

RaptorAnts

Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:23 pm

I have this queen ant that needs some help. She is eating her eggs, and when she does lay eggs, she stops taking care of them or they die somehow. I got her from a gan farmer where I live in Tucson. The buyer had this queen for a year. The way he was feeding his queens, the workers got stuck in the solution and died. He was feeding them protein powder, kool-aid mix, a cricket leg, and a little bit of oil of some sort. I am feeding them the protein powder, kool-aid mix, and a frozen-thawed cricket (4-month-old queen with workers) or cricket leg (a little more than a year old queen with nothing). All of her workers died, and she came with some brood. Something happened to the eggs and the larva she had with her, because she kept putting them in the trash pile, and would not take care of them. Here are some pictures of her: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nqUNwqKdlHml7Hb0ixMGScHjG-TaWFeBfDHl8EzGjwg/edit?usp=sharing
I really need some help, I have had her for about 4 months. The queen is smaller than my other queen, but they look like the same sp. Could I take some brood or worker from the other queen and give it to the queen with nothing? I truly do not know what to do.
Owner of 2 huge Camponotus queens.

Ruwagner

Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:25 am

Want to start ant husbandry so i went qeeun hunting and found "something" need help to identify if its a qeeun and what species it is

AM1C39

Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:45 am

Can you post some pictures?
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]