Queen IDs|South Florida

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntsAreAwesome

Re: Queen IDs|South Florida

Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:38 am

Hahaha. It's really funny because right after I edit my post and add the photos you say that :lol: So your saying that pheidole moerens is correct? Let me embed the suspected RIFA/Formica now.

Batspiderfish

Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:52 am

I wouldn't say P. moerens, but you have the genus right. The larger queen is Solenopsis invicta.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntsAreAwesome

Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:19 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
I wouldn't say P. moerens, but you have the genus right. The larger queen is Solenopsis invicta.
Ok thanks. But is this common: I have never really seen any pheidole ants in my yard(in fact in my neighborhood),so how is it I find this queen?

AntsAreAwesome

Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:38 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
Ok thanks. But is this common: I have never really seen any pheidole ants in my yard(in fact in my neighborhood),so how is it I find this queen? Also, are pheidole fully claustral or semi claustral?

Batspiderfish

Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:43 am

AntsAreAwesome wrote:
Batspiderfish wrote:
Ok thanks. But is this common: I have never really seen any pheidole ants in my yard(in fact in my neighborhood),so how is it I find this queen? Also, are pheidole fully claustral or semi claustral?
There are plenty of Pheidole in Florida. They are claustral.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntsAreAwesome

Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:54 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:43 am
AntsAreAwesome wrote:
Batspiderfish wrote:
There are plenty of Pheidole in Florida. They are claustral.
Alright. Thanks so much for helping! Really looking forward to these pheidole ants. I've also wanted to get trapjaws and sugar ants and even maybe prenolepis imparis, but I will just sit back and wait for those queens to come along. I just really wanted to have a species besides RIFA :roll: So once again thank you and I have any more questions I'll post them. Thanks!