new queen just found today

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Martialis

Re: new queen just found today

Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:52 pm

I'm sticking with Aphaenogaster.

How are you hydrating the Uncle Milton nest? How (in the future) will you feed her colony?

Do NOT put her in a gel farm.
Keeper of

Selliing:

martinnate

Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:10 pm

Martialis wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:52 pm
I'm sticking with Aphaenogaster.

How are you hydrating the Uncle Milton nest? How (in the future) will you feed her colony?

Do NOT put her in a gel farm.
This nest has 4 ports with caps on them, two on each side, one above ground level and one below ground level. I am going to attach an out world to one of the above ground ports and put test tubes full of water on each side of the nest, maybe one below ground and one above ground. I will attach a pic in a bit.

Batspiderfish

Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:45 pm

Solenopsis invicta. Sometimes queens are smaller than usual -- allegedly a microgyne caste which is better suited to joining an existing colony.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Martialis

Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:52 pm

Thanks for informing me.
Keeper of

Selliing:

AntLove4Evr

Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:57 pm

Beefy lookin queen! Good job!

martinnate

Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:24 pm

Thank you, I was lucky to find her. I went out to get termites for my Camponotous, they have been coming out foraging but are not eating crickets right now. So I gave them termites and they tore them up lol But anyway I was looking on the ground for the moist tunnels made by terrestrial termites. She was looking around in some crab grass that had like 1in paths between each plant. It rained here a couple of days ago and I knew the termites would be tunneling above ground but didn't even think about Queens flying lol It has been hotter than normal, that may have been why they flew.