Tiny Queen?

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Membrayne

Tiny Queen?

Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:41 pm

So today I went camping, and I look on my tent window mesh and there's this tiny winged ant. It couldn't have been more than 4 or 5 mm, if even that. The image of my pinkie that's included is shown for scale, that is its head cresting it. This is in the northern end of Western Washington. Genuinely curious if anyone has a good guess at the species, or if this is a queen or not. I feel like the gaster shape and size is wrong for a little black ant, and the body isn't particularly wasp-like. This, to me, looks like a worker with wings. Does that happen?

I ended up letting this one go, so it's not of grave importance, but I am genuinely curious what this is. Any ideas are appreciated!

antperson24

Re: Tiny Queen?

Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:14 pm

Membrayne wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:41 pm
So today I went camping, and I look on my tent window mesh and there's this tiny winged ant. It couldn't have been more than 4 or 5 mm, if even that. The image of my pinkie that's included is shown for scale, that is its head cresting it. This is in the northern end of Western Washington. Genuinely curious if anyone has a good guess at the species, or if this is a queen or not. I feel like the gaster shape and size is wrong for a little black ant, and the body isn't particularly wasp-like. This, to me, looks like a worker with wings. Does that happen?

I ended up letting this one go, so it's not of grave importance, but I am genuinely curious what this is. Any ideas are appreciated!

She is definitely a queen, probably Stenamma. And no, workers don't get wings.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN