Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Jus144tice

Hoping I caught a mated carpenter ant queen

Mon May 29, 2023 10:20 pm

Size: 25mm
When: 29/05/2023 12:00
Where: West Stockbridge, MA - back yard
Appearance: Large black ant with wings on.
Behaviour: She was running around on the ground. I was able to catch her and get her into a test tube. She started running faster as I caught her, but she never flew. Only ran.
She is currently settled down in the test tube and seems to just be staying perfectly still at the moment.
Picture(s):

My son (11) has been trying to find a mated queen to start a colony. Today, while doing yard work (in western MA), I saw this one walking around on my patio. Was able to snag it and my son is ecstatic. However, I'm a little concerned that it's unmated. Wings still on. I know there's no definitive way to know until she hatches workers (or not), but any thoughts on catching a winged queen like this? Want to set expectations appropriately with my son. I hard a hard time getting my phone camera to focus on the ant inside the test tube...

antperson24

Re: Hoping I caught a mated carpenter ant queen

Wed May 31, 2023 2:11 pm

Jus144tice wrote:
Behaviour: She was running around on the ground. I was able to catch her and get her into a test tube. She started running faster as I caught her, but she never flew. Only ran.
She is currently settled down in the test tube and seems to just be staying perfectly still at the moment.
Picture(s):

My son (11) has been trying to find a mated queen to start a colony. Today, while doing yard work (in western MA), I saw this one walking around on my patio. Was able to snag it and my son is ecstatic. However, I'm a little concerned that it's unmated. Wings still on. I know there's no definitive way to know until she hatches workers (or not), but any thoughts on catching a winged queen like this? Want to set expectations appropriately with my son. I hard a hard time getting my phone camera to focus on the ant inside the test tube...
It sometimes takes a while for them to shed their wings. Just wait and see, that's all you can do. Does she have any little golden hairs on her abdomen (for identification purposes)?
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:19 am

Jus144tice wrote:
Picture(s):

Camponotus Pennsylvanianicus

Really cool species but a bit slow growing. Ehh unless there is a nest near you there is a good chance it’s mated. C penn fly late at night, and can be found in the morning searching for founding chambers. I really suggest breaking sticks open to look for queens as you might actually find a colony and or a queen with brood.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

antperson24

Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:18 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Jus144tice wrote:
Picture(s):

Really cool species but a bit slow growing. Ehh unless there is a nest near you there is a good chance it’s mated. C penn fly late at night, and can be found in the morning searching for founding chambers. I really suggest breaking sticks open to look for queens as you might actually find a colony and or a queen with brood.
How could you tell she was C. pennsylvanicus without seeing the golden hairs?

SolenopsisKeeper

Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:20 am

antperson24 wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Jus144tice wrote:
Picture(s):

Why are they necessary lol

Penn is the only large campo besides maybe chromaides in MA(Not enough red for chrom)
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

antperson24

Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:13 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:20 am
antperson24 wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

Why are they necessary lol

Penn is the only large campo besides maybe chromaides in MA(Not enough red for chrom)
Oh, I always thought a good way to id C. pennsylvanicus was by those hairs. I'll be sure to remember that, thanks.