New Possible Queen ID please

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

seadawg84

New Possible Queen ID please

Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:18 pm

Size: a hair over 6mm
When: around 10:40am EST on 02October2022
Where: walking on the topsoil within a blueberry bush pot in my backyard which has a bunch of trees inclueding rotting logs in the very back
Appearance: long, thin, red-brown,
Behaviour: very active, searching around all the time, hardly ever standing still
Picture(s): could not get any clear pictures because she would not sit still, so I took a short video instead.

https://imgur.com/29tKMq3

I'm pretty sure she's a Ponera Pennsylvanica queen, though I'm not entirely sure she IS a queen, but here's hoping. Because, if she is, I will have a Pheidole sp. colony, a couple of Crematogaster sp. queens, a Proceratium Silaceum queen, a Ponera Pennsylvanica queen, and an unknown species queen (I'll be writing about her in another post, I think she may be another Pheidole sp. queen, though).

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: New Possible Queen ID please

Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:55 pm

seadawg84 wrote:
Where: walking on the topsoil within a blueberry bush pot in my backyard which has a bunch of trees inclueding rotting logs in the very back
Behaviour: very active, searching around all the time, hardly ever standing still
Picture(s): could not get any clear pictures because she would not sit still, so I took a short video instead.

I'm pretty sure she's a Ponera Pennsylvanica queen, though I'm not entirely sure she IS a queen, but here's hoping. Because, if she is, I will have a Pheidole sp. colony, a couple of Crematogaster sp. queens, a Proceratium Silaceum queen, a Ponera Pennsylvanica queen, and an unknown species queen (I'll be writing about her in another post, I think she may be another Pheidole sp. queen, though).
Ponera family
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

Nico12

Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:07 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
seadawg84 wrote:

Ponera family
Looking at pictures of ponera pennsylvanica queens, it is very possible that your new queen might be that species. Hope that helps! :D
8-) Ants Are Cool 8-)

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:57 pm

Nico12 wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
seadawg84 wrote:

Ponera family
Looking at pictures of ponera pennsylvanica queens, it is very possible that your new queen might be that species. Hope that helps! :D
This is very unlikely, as Ponera is a cryptic species that has TONS of undescribed species, and dozens that are quite popular in the US. Ponera exotica, and there is still several genera with Ponera like Hypoponera, Brachyponera, and more.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

Nico12

Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:33 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:57 pm
Nico12 wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Ponera family
This is very unlikely, as Ponera is a cryptic species that has TONS of undescribed species, and dozens that are quite popular in the US. Ponera exotica, and there is still several genera with Ponera like Hypoponera, Brachyponera, and more.
Oops! :oops: Well, at least you know it's Ponera. I had no idea that the species was cryptic.
8-) Ants Are Cool 8-)