queen? ID

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

larynx

queen? ID

Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:47 pm

found this tiny little thing, around some other crazy fuzzy looking ants.
what do you think?
-found in georgia US
-on 8-7-15
-wooded area
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

New2Ants

Re: queen? ID

Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:06 pm

Wow!!! You have no idea how jealous I am of you! To me this is an amazing find. Looks like a species of Leaf Cutter Ant here in Georgia. I am currently researching species such as this native to the U.S. Lucky find. Hope she's fertile. Try to start a colony, and good luck!!! :o

larynx

Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:43 pm

New2Ants wrote:Wow!!! You have no idea how jealous I am of you! To me this is an amazing find. Looks like a species of Leaf Cutter Ant here in Georgia. I am currently researching species such as this native to the U.S. Lucky find. Hope she's fertile. Try to start a colony, and good luck!!! :o
crazy. i had no idea they would be up this far. i didnt figure they would nest under ground. i picture them in trees and such. i plucked her off a nest i disturbed while anting. im thinking i may go back and dig it up for a few larva, queens, and workers.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

Ants4fun

Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:44 pm

Please don't dig them up. It is almost impossible to collect a whole colony. You might kill the colony!

larynx

Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:48 pm

thank you guys for the info.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

Gregory2455

Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:18 am

This is either Trachymyrmex septentrionalis or Cyphomyrmex rimosus, the only two leaf cutting species in Georgia. I would need a shot of the head from the front to differentiate them.
EDIT: And I better warn you ASAP. No matter what species of fungus farmers these are, minutes after they first land, they will puke up a little ball (of fungus) that they took from the parent colony. If you do/did not get this, then these will slowly starve to death.

larynx

Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:48 am

Gregory2455 wrote:This is either Trachymyrmex septentrionalis or Cyphomyrmex rimosus, the only two leaf cutting species in Georgia. I would need a shot of the head from the front to differentiate them.
EDIT: And I better warn you ASAP. No matter what species of fungus farmers these are, minutes after they first land, they will puke up a little ball (of fungus) that they took from the parent colony. If you do/did not get this, then these will slowly starve to death.
yep, thats exactly what she did. puked in the tube right before she shed wings. lol
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

Gregory2455

Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:50 am

larynx wrote:
Gregory2455 wrote:This is either Trachymyrmex septentrionalis or Cyphomyrmex rimosus, the only two leaf cutting species in Georgia. I would need a shot of the head from the front to differentiate them.
yep, thats exactly what she did. puked in the tube right before she shed wings. lol
Awesome! Make sure it is kept super moist and give her caterpillar frass or something of the sort for her to feed it with.

larynx

Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:43 am

Gregory2455 wrote:
larynx wrote:
Awesome! Make sure it is kept super moist and give her caterpillar frass or something of the sort for her to feed it with.
to feed the fungus?
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

Gregory2455

Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:17 am

Yep.