Lacius something?

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

CrazyJewels

Lacius something?

Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:31 am

Hullo,
I would appreciate help with identifying this ant species, which I believe belongs to the genus Lacius.

Size: 6-8mm
When: 13 of August, around 2pm.
Where: In the mountains in the south east of France
Appearance: Dificult for me to say. They have a thicker abdomen than the the other ant queens I had. On the video "What the Queens of Different Ant Species Look Like" from AntsCanada it looks like the Lacius genus compared to all others on there.
Behaviour: Took well to the test tube setup. Has layed a small batch of very small eggs, and now a batch of 4-5 pretty massive eggs, none have hatched yet. Is calm whenever I take off the cover every 4-7 days.
Picture(s):
https://imgur.com/a/HRFDCYJ
Additionally: I have another one just like it that I caught not too long ago which hasn't layed eggs yet I could try getting pictures of it the test tube is cleaner.

Kailas

Re: Lacius something?

Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:20 pm

I'm new at this but I think clearer pictures *might* help. At first glance I thought it was lasius niger, but antmaps lists it as "indoor introduced" in New Zealand (I'm guessing from your location info), so I'm not sure if that means it can be found in the wild.

Kailas

Re: Lacius something?

Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:34 pm

Actually I misread your post, I see you are in France. Lasius niger is common in your area, so it could be that.

From the pics, it looks like he thorax is a bit amber maybe? If that's the case, then I don't think it would be lasius niger. Looking to see if I can find a lasius species with an amber thorax...