Tiny Queen Ant Identification Part 2

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Kailas

Tiny Queen Ant Identification Part 2

Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:49 pm

This is another tiny queen ant I collected today alongside some solenopsis molesta. During collection I thought they were the same, but closer inspection revealed that these ants are about 5.5mm long while the solenopsis molesta is about 4.5 to 5mm long. Also, while solenopsis molesta has an amber colored gaster, these queens have a black gaster with pronounced 'bumps'?

Here are more details:
Size: 5.5mm
When: August 18th 2022, early evening
Where: Ottawa, Ontario - on the sidewalks close to parks.
Appearance: red/dark amber head and thorax, 2 petiole nodes, and a black gaster with pronounced 'bumps'
Behaviour: Very calm on the sidewalk and equally calm in the test tube.
Picture(s): https://imgur.com/a/LhaU4rG

Thanks for your help!

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Tiny Queen Ant Identification Part 2

Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:42 am

Kailas wrote:
This is another tiny queen ant I collected today alongside some solenopsis molesta. During collection I thought they were the same, but closer inspection revealed that these ants are about 5.5mm long while the solenopsis molesta is about 4.5 to 5mm long. Also, while solenopsis molesta has an amber colored gaster, these queens have a black gaster with pronounced 'bumps'?

Here are more details:
Appearance: red/dark amber head and thorax, 2 petiole nodes, and a black gaster with pronounced 'bumps'

Thanks for your help!
Solenopsis sp., either has parasites or fertile due to physogastric gaster
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

Kailas

Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:23 pm

Thanks for your help! I collected 5 of them, all look the same, so I wonder what are the chances of all 4 new queens looking like this due to parasitic infection (unless parasitic infections are so contagious that they could have spread to these 4 and likely more queens easily). I also found multiple solenopsis molesta queens in the same place showing no signs of infection.

So I'm leaning towards assuming they are fertile and without parasites, but isn't a physogastric gaster unusual in a new queen? Why would there be so many of them?

Sorry for all the questions, just very curious.

Also wanted to know if you believe that these queens would be polygynous. I was thinking of combining them into one colony like I did with the solenopsis molesta queens.

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:55 pm

Kailas wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:23 pm
Thanks for your help! I collected 5 of them, all look the same, so I wonder what are the chances of all 4 new queens looking like this due to parasitic infection (unless parasitic infections are so contagious that they could have spread to these 4 and likely more queens easily). I also found multiple solenopsis molesta queens in the same place showing no signs of infection.

So I'm leaning towards assuming they are fertile and without parasites, but isn't a physogastric gaster unusual in a new queen? Why would there be so many of them?

Sorry for all the questions, just very curious.

Also wanted to know if you believe that these queens would be polygynous. I was thinking of combining them into one colony like I did with the solenopsis molesta queens.
I wouldn’t risk polygyny as it in most ants it depends on the population, my guess is they would be plemeotrophic.

All my C. Tortoganus queens get really phyogastric as soon as I catch them. It’s not that uncommon, but I have rarely seen it in Solenopsis invicta.

Kailas

Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:39 pm

Thanks, learning a lot!

Follow-up question, what does 'plemeotrophic' mean? Can't seem to find a good definition online.

SolenopsisKeeper

Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:15 am

Kailas wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:39 pm
Thanks, learning a lot!

Follow-up question, what does 'plemeotrophic' mean? Can't seem to find a good definition online.
It is where multiple queens will found together, but when workers arrive or as the colony gets bigger a queen will be eliminated

oniraigeki

Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:01 pm

Kailas wrote:

Here are more details:

Thanks for your help!
Solenopsis Molesta