Dealate ID request, I believe she is semi-caulostrial

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

JaydenScheepers

Dealate ID request, I believe she is semi-caulostrial

Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:45 pm

She is black in color and has two spines where her head ends, and her thorax begins. Test tube is a bit dirty so I couldn't catch the detail, but I saw her wing scars and I immediately noticed she is a dealate when I saw her. Reason for that is because I see the workers of this species everywhere, they usually forage alone, and when I saw her I noticed she had a slightly larger thorax for her size, so I captured her and observed her wing scars which confirmed my suspicion.
Keeping:

• Cataulacus granulatus x2
• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Dealate ID request, I believe she is semi-caulostrial

Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:29 pm

JaydenScheepers wrote:
She is black in color and has two spines where her head ends, and her thorax begins. Test tube is a bit dirty so I couldn't catch the detail, but I saw her wing scars and I immediately noticed she is a dealate when I saw her. Reason for that is because I see the workers of this species everywhere, they usually forage alone, and when I saw her I noticed she had a slightly larger thorax for her size, so I captured her and observed her wing scars which confirmed my suspicion.
Can you link the photo on imagur or google photos? Thanks! ;)
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

JaydenScheepers

Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:52 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:29 pm
JaydenScheepers wrote:
Can you link the photo on imagur or google photos? Thanks! ;)
https://imgur.com/gallery/cTCPbDb

Here, sorry I already had the link ready, but I'm an idiot and I forgot to paste it :D
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:54 pm

I know this is off topic, but while we're here, do you by any chance know how long it usually takes for Pheidole parva eggs to go from eggs to workers? I'm really anxious about this colony.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SolenopsisKeeper

Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:01 pm

JaydenScheepers wrote:
I know this is off topic, but while we're here, do you by any chance know how long it usually takes for Pheidole parva eggs to go from eggs to workers? I'm really anxious about this colony.
Eggs can take(In species where I am) anywhere from 42 to 72 days to develop, does this sound right? Maybe they are making reproductives?

JaydenScheepers

Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:06 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
Eggs can take(In species where I am) anywhere from 42 to 72 days to develop, does this sound right? Maybe they are making reproductives?
I thought smaller ants would develop a bit faster than bigger ants, why would they be making reproductives at this stage, unless their unfertilized and making drones because of it.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:37 pm

https://imgur.com/gallery/cTCPbDb

Here, sorry I already had the link ready, but I'm an idiot and I forgot to paste it :D
[/quote]

Do you maybe have a list of species or genuses that might resemble her, put me in the right direction to start looking?
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:32 am

I think I found her genus! Odontoponera.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:44 am

JaydenScheepers wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
I thought smaller ants would develop a bit faster than bigger ants, why would they be making reproductives at this stage, unless their unfertilized and making drones because of it.
Under certain conditions, yes. In regular conditions, workers take around 3-5 weeks and majors taking one or two months(without heat).

Some pheidole do get majors very early on, so it is a possibility that those eggs may be small larvae(hard to see with ***** eye, maybe even impossible to see first instar larvae in Pheidole) that have received the pheromone to develop into a major.

JaydenScheepers

Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:13 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:44 am
JaydenScheepers wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

Under certain conditions, yes. In regular conditions, workers take around 3-5 weeks and majors taking one or two months(without heat).

Some pheidole do get majors very early on, so it is a possibility that those eggs may be small larvae(hard to see with ***** eye, maybe even impossible to see first instar larvae in Pheidole) that have received the pheromone to develop into a major.
It would be so cool seeing a major early on, I think Pheidole majors are particularly great looking. When I look at the batch of brood all I see are white dots, some might be larvae and some might be eggs, but I can't tell. And I don't want to take to much time observing, because I don't want to stress either one of the queens, because they might start eating the brood.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1